99 F250 Power Stroke not starting

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by nlminc, Feb 27, 2006.

1. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

Just hit 150,000 miles. Cranks over and sounds like it wants to go. Is it time for glow plugs? Batteries are almost new.

2. NewImageLawn&Landscape

NewImageLawn&Landscape LawnSite Member

Have you replaced your cam position sensor at all? These things are notorious for them. On fordparts.com they are $103.19. On ebay you can find one anywhere from $50-100. Takes about 15 minutes to install.

3. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Will the truck start if you plug in the engine heater? If yes look at your glow plug relay and glow plugs.

How many rpm does the tach read when you are cranking the engine? If the answer is 0 you need a CPS.

4. nlminc

from GA

I pluged the truck in for 2 hours. It started ran rough and when I shut it down and restarted it again there was hesitation. I just brought it in to the dealer so we'll see what they say. The service advisor said it may be the glow plug relay.

5. nlminc

from GA

Dealer just called. They found the relay and 3 glow plugs out. To replace the relay and all of the plugs it will cost me $940.00.:cry: With a couple of other oil leaks I want to have repaired I'm looking at $1,405.80. :cry: :cry: :cry:

6. NewImageLawn&Landscape

If you have any mechanical ability just do it yourself, save yourself some $$$$

7. fastg60

fastg60 LawnSite Member

that's outrageous for the glow plugs and relay!!! how much labor are they charging? what price did they give you for each plug, they're only about $10/ea at the auto parts store!?!?

8. NewImageLawn&Landscape

From ford the glow plug relay is $100 and the glow plugs are $10 each , cheap and easy fix. I wish i lived closer, i have 2 glow plug relays i got off ebay brand new, $30 each.

9. nlminc

from GA

If you have any mechanical ability just do it yourself, save yourself some $$$$

I usually do all of my maintenance. What's involved in changing the plugs? Where could I get the info?

that's outrageous for the glow plugs and relay!!! how much labor are they charging? what price did they give you for each plug, they're only about $10/ea at the auto parts store!?!?

They say the plugs are $25.00 each and the relay is 97.00. Relay is 97/part 135/labor
    Plugs 25/part and 445/labor
    I told him to hold off on the glow plugs and relay. Now he's telling me he can work with me a little on the price! ;-) But not much. Also told me the Advanced Auto parts quote I got on the plugs for $9.98 each are no good compared to his(ford) and they will not last. Blaaa blaa bla...

10. TWUllc

TWUllc LawnSite Senior Member

Dealers at their finest. Gotta love'em.