99 F350 PS automatic tranny replacement

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by BrandonV, Sep 25, 2007.

1. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey guys, well when it rains it pours and today one of our crew cabs started acting up not engaging grears right. You put it in revers and it feels like its slipping. I'm going to take it to the shop tomorrow, I'm guessing (w/ all the towing it used to do in life) the trans is going to need replacement. Anyone have a guestimate how much an auto trans for a 99 F350 Powerstroke is going to run? The truck has 180k+ on it and I'm debating weather or not its worth the investment. Engine is good and most everthing else too, but I'm just suspecious because thing tend to fall apart at the 200k mark.

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Cost me $ 2500.00 to rebuild my 1993 GMC 1 ton.

3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Gene's number is probably about right. I would suspect that you will be into at least $2000 no matter which route you go. That said, if you feel you might keep the truck for a good long time, it might be worth looking into a transmission from Brian's Truck Shop or Suncoast.

4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

If the truck is still in good shape then it is definately worth the investment. At 180,000 miles that truck has many miles left in it if properly taken care of. I would look into some type of performance transmission because i've heard bad things about the stock Ford auto that were paired with the 7.3. It will run you a little more money depending on what you get but in my opinion would be worth it.

5. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

to rebuild, your lookin at 22-2800 depending on the shop. the 28 will get you a slightly better tq converter and better clutches. along with a nice valve body.

6. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

hey hey now!

7. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

ford has quoted me $3500

8. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

If you are up to that price range, and you have decided you are going to invest in the truck, I would give BTS a call and discuss my options. http://www.brianstruckshop.com/

9. CTJ

CTJ LawnSite Member

I have a friend who has a BTS trans. Best trans you can get. When mine goes I'm gonna get one.

10. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

BTS- $3900 (try and break it warranty) I will hopefully be driving there this month.:laugh: