99 Ford F350 7.3L diesel

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by RHayden, Dec 6, 2005.

1. RHayden

RHayden LawnSite Member

Recently test drove a 99 F350 XLT 4x4 7.3L PSD manual transmission. Thinking about picking this truck up for pulling our goose neck. Anyone know of any mechanical or other issues with this year/model? Thanks.

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

We have a 99 350 PSD, love it. Bought the truck with 100K miles and it has 150K on it now of hard towing and everyday use. No problems whatsoever.

3. RHayden

RHayden LawnSite Member

Scag, what kind of mpg you get on average?

4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Only thing I have seen with the late 90's 7.3's is burned out glowplugs.

5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

On average with a fully loaded bed with probably 700 pounds of tools, etc. we're getting 15-16 on the highway.

6. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Just PM'ed you, check for your info.

7. RHayden

RHayden LawnSite Member

Steve,

Try emailing direct at r.hayden@mchsi.com. My pm is not turned on because I do not have enough posts. I have been a member for well over a year and have requested it be turned on at least three times so far noluck.

8. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Just sent the url's you need. Best Ford site out there. Hope it helps.

9. efaubert1

efaubert1 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Ok, first, you don't want an early model 99. The turbo is the small one on those. You want March of 99 or after. Also there were other parts on the early ones that are bastards (not cussing here), and were changed on the late 99's and used all through 02 year model, which makes the parts more readily available and cheaper. My 99 has 123000 on it, runs great, and regularly tows 6-14K trailers depending on whether it's mowers, tractors, excavation equipment or horses.

10. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha LawnSite Member

I have a early 99 (see sig) with over 250,000 miles on it now. I have had the truck chipped since the first month that I bought it. The truck is towing loads of 14,000-20,000lbs 5 days a week and once in a while up to 33,000lbs. I have had no big problems with it. I have had the clutch replaced, the master and slave cylinders for the clutch replace, and just maintance stuff, U-joints, ball joints, ect. I would buy it up, they are great trucks!!