1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

'99 GMC Flatbed Gas

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mklawnman, Feb 17, 2003.

1. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Hey AL Inc
    Does your 99 have 4x4?? Or is it a two wheel drive with a plow on it? Cause ive seen and heard you can put a plow on a 4x2 but make sure you have enough weight in the back to give traction.
    Also, the guy has said he has hauled 6yrs of mulch in it, and i cant remember how much topsoil but if its moist stuff then gotta watch it alittle. Dont plan on loading it full of stone or dirt everyweek, nor do i have a skid loader to pull yet with it so.
    What about your MPG? Just driving around and with 12ft trailer which is what i have.?
  2. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

mklawnman- Mine is a 4x2 with the limited slip rear. We usually put a yard of soil in the bed for traction. I was actually surprised at how well the truck plowed snow. We use it for parking lots and some of the larger, flat driveways. I would forget about plowing any hills with it.
    I usually put no more than two yards of soil or gravel in the truck, but have put 8 yards of mulch on it with no problem. As far as MPG, we mostly do local driving and it is about 10-12. That is for 4 days with trailer, 2 without, usually.
    My first truck that I bought when I started my business was an '86 GMC C3500 dump with an inline 6 cylinder. The truck belonged to the NYC Housing Authority and had really been worked. It was a sorry looking truck and I took it through hell and back. It was a good start and I got 5 years out of it. If you can see it through, definitely go for a small dump truck, it is a world of difference over a pick-up.
  3. mklawnman

Ok thanks AL Inc
    Yeah its a truck that would be a great starter truck for me until i get some good income flowing in to buy a brand new F450 Dumper Diesel or something similar.
    The truck looks brand new interior and exterior.
  4. mklawnman

Well going to call the owner up of the truck either today or tommorow and tell him that in two weeks I can officially buy the truck. Gotta wait for my LLC paper work to get through so that i can title it under the business name and also get a business checking account. So in the mean time I am going to work on a price to settle on and give him like $500 to hold it till then.
    He's selling it for around $14,600, he says the dealer will give him $13,500 and sell it for $14,500 or something like that.