99 Isuzu oil leak

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Stonewall, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

I test drove a 99 Isuzu with 157k miles on it. It drove great but had two issues. It was slow shifting into overdrive until it warmed up. Is this normal?

Also, I tilted the cab up and noticed an oil leak from around the turbo. Not sure how bad it was. Any experience with this problem and cost of repair?

Thanks.

2. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

Not normal on the OD, should work as advertised.
    Oil leak at turbo could be several things. A simple gasket or a seal in the turbo itself, which would no doubt require a replacement. I'd have someone at an independant truck shop have a look. May cost an hour labor but will save you many more labor dollars in the future.

3. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

With that many miles you can count on having to replace the transmission and possibly the engine sometime soon, at least by 200K miles. Look around at the ad's for used diesel Isuzus and you will notice a good amount of them have had both of those parts replaced by 200 thousand mile mark.

This is why I bought a new gas unit, the gas engine and tranny should last 150 thousand miles and then it is alot cheaper to fix or replace at that point....

4. jhcreech

jhcreech LawnSite Member

Hello, the slow shift into overdrive is normal because until the ATF gets to a certain temp the TCM will inhibit 4th gear (OD) and converter lock up. Its weird because all these trans shift different when cold, I have had some that had to be driven about 3 miles on the highway pushing 52 mph in third gear, then finally warm up enough to shift into overdrive. I would suggest trans shift point adjustment which involves adjustment of the accel cable, kickdown switch, idle speed, Throttle Position Sensor and TPS relearn. This will greatly increase shift quality. Also service trans and replace external spin on trans filter.
    The oil leak is it below the turbo, because these trucks are nutorious an oil line leaking which lubricates the vaccuum pump on back of the alternator. The repair involves and updated oil line and a new motor mount bracket which the line mounts too.
    My dealership charges about 5 hours to do the update and another hour to do trans adjustment.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ASE certified MASTER TRUCK TECHNICIAN
    work on only ISUZU TRUCKS for a local dealership

5. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

You are absolutely on the money! I have two '99s. One of mine was slow to shift into overdrive, and it turns out it needed a new thermostat. I have also replaced that oil line you are talking about. I think it was a braided flexible line. Minor repairs.

I know this is an old post but if the price is right... 6-8k... I would jump on it.

6. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Hey I have got another question for you... sorry this is off the immediate topic but I can't pm you because you don't have enough post. I have an '02 FRR and the other day I went to crank the truck... cranked fine in neutral... pushed the clutch and go to reverse and it just slammed into gear... seems like the clutch is not engaging. I can't shift it into gear when the truck is running. Is that a slave cylinder, broken cable, or a shot clutch. Truck has 65k miles.

7. jhcreech

jhcreech LawnSite Member

Does it feel like their is resistance in the clutch pedal like if their is hydraulic pressure. More than likely the problem is a leaking slave cyl as you said, if you pump the pedal does it seem to engage. You said it does go into gear but slams in, I believe the clutch in the FRRs are adjustible externally, the pistons in the slave cyl are also known to seize up.