$99 Sand Topdressing Service

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by adam.neusbaum, Apr 18, 2013.

1. adam.neusbaum

adam.neusbaum LawnSite Senior Member

I'm considering this bargain priced topdressing service for lawns like this. An ecolawn buggy of sand goes a whole lot farther than compost (not sure why exactly). These Zoysia lawns sure need it. I need to figure out my cost first. This is coming from someone that spreads compost for $60/yard and our average home requires 5 yards. Thoughts? Maybe $149.

2013-04-18_14-29-39_741.jpg

2. Thoughts....don't drive the market down. That is too cheap dude.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. adam.neusbaum

True. When advertising a price I try & nail it the first time & you know it worked when the phone rings thereafter. By doing 8 of these a day for $129 the exposure rate goes way up compared to doing 3 a week at $270 each. Some giant snowballs are built from the smallest flakes, just got to get it rolling first. We can only charge what the market can bear.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Yea....but...,this is a specialized service, not cutting grass. I'm not gonna do it for cheap. It's like cutting sports turf with a reel mower. There are way more costs involved and it is specialized, gotta charge way more for it. But if that's all you can get for it, I guess that's what it is.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. adam.neusbaum

Two cubic yards of sand/compost mix over trouble spots look to do a lot of good. $69/aeration & $120/2 cy yards topdressed tally $189.

2013-06-03_15-26-13_246.jpg

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Is all pricing in FLA that cheap? Damn!

7. Not at all...he just wants to work like that...
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Since you are using a machine. You should charge enough to pay off the cost of that machine in one year.
    Say the machine cost $5000, and you treated a hundred lawns; you have to charge each one $50 just for the cost of the machine. I would say about another $50 for the dump truck. Add cost of materials. Add cost of labor. Add cost of labor burden ( taxes and benefits). Add average cost of uncollected accounts divided among the bills that do pay. Add your overhead charge per hour.

Find last year's total overhead cost--and divide by the total number of hours that were worked.
    Suppose your overhead was $10,000...and your guys worked a total of 5000 hours. You have to charge added $2.00 for each hour worked to cover your overhead for this year.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  9. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

good...........................

10. gulfjoe

gulfjoe LawnSite Bronze Member

Level Lawns in Atlanta GA just quoted me $0.30 a sqft. I need 10,000sqft done, so that is $3000. They are high end but that should give you an idea of you should be charging.