1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

99 Silverado idle too high

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by KeystoneLawn&Landscaping, Mar 11, 2009.

1. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I recently cleaned the throttle body and after I did I got a check engine code.Two things...too high idle, which is obvious....and running too lean. Ideas how to adjust without going to my mechanic? Thanks
  2. Ironic

Ironic LawnSite Senior Member

I think you can just keep running it, and it will clear itself. I have a 96 S-10 that did the same thing after I cleaned the throttle body, and used Sea Foam. it really had me worried for a bit cuz it would not come down below 1500 rpms...but I went and drove it for a few miles, and when I got back it was fine. good luck, I hope it works for ya!
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You could try the simple trick, which up under the hood at the throttle body...
    Where the throttle cable hooks up, there's that whole throttle control thing...
    There should be an idle speed limiter screw to adjust the idle speed, I'd see if
    turning that down some slows it.

And it might not, but that would be the first thing I would try is to adjust it with a screwdriver.
  4. 4.3mudder

4.3mudder LawnSite Silver Member

I don't think those throttle bodies have crub idle screws, it is all done by the computer.
  5. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

My truck did have the idle adjustment screw, and didn't take much of a move to get where it needed to be. Thanks to all for the input!