'99 Toro 16hp Briggs ohc rebuild gone bad??

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Chris Driy, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Chris Driy

Chris Driy LawnSite Member

Hey guys.. I'm from West Michigan, and i have a Briggs question. My dad has a Toro hydro 16hp 38" cut mower that we ran without oil (unknowingly of course), and it seized and blew the sides out of the engine. We got a short-block online brand new, and put the parts from the old engine, and are now trying to get it going again. When we try to start it, it's very loud and doesn't want to get going.. it fires, sometimes (1 in 8 hits?) and when we pulled the air filter off we could see exhause blowing out the intake as well as some fuel. It seems like it wants to start but just doesn't.. He had it going a few days ago and said it was "very loud" and it only ran for maybe 30 seconds. Are there common mistakes in rebuilding a mower engine that show these symptoms? We're out of ideas.. what is a normal valve gap for a 28Q777 type 0690 engine?

We appreciate any input..

Chris

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

repost this in the repair forum and we will help you.

3. Chris Driy

Chris Driy LawnSite Member

i thought i posed it under repairs.. it says it's under "equipment, vehicles and repair forums / tractors". I can't find any way to navigate to a different area - very hard to navigate this place.. are you able to move my post to the right place?

4. khouse

Chris,
    This is the tractor repair forum usually larger engines. Your engine is considered a small engine and most of those issues are posted on the "mechanic and repairs" forum. Copy and paste you problem to a new thread there.
    I can help you here if you'ld like? But posting it in the mechanic and repairs forum you'll get more response.

5. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

High Chris
    Welcome to the forum.
    As we don't know your level of engine experience, first things first.
    Did you align the crank and cam shaft for proper valve and ignition timing?

6. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Jim the shortblock would mean he did not need to mess with the internals only the externally heads, intake, carb, etc.
    My question is did you get new head gaskets with the short block?

7. Jim@MilkyWay

Sorry guys.
    open mouth, insert foot.:dancing:

8. khouse

i think it's a good question. did you purchase a bare block or short block? i know he said short block but we must make sure.

9. Jim@MilkyWay

I don't have that much experience with miss-timed engines, but that is just what it sounded like on the surface.

10. khouse

Jim - did you buy a short block or a bare block? this will guide us in determining a mechanical timing issue.