1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

997 John Deere

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BCNU, Feb 10, 2008.

1. BCNU

BCNU LawnSite Member

I am considering purchasing a 997 John Deere zero turn this spring and was wondering if anyone on here that is running one could post the pros and cons of this machine. MY friend has one and loves it but I would like to here some other opinions also. Thanks in advance for any information!
  2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Their was another poster on here who had one and had horrible experience with it. I will see if I can find the thread. Had trouble with it running hot and dealer could not fix and deere would do nothing to help. I have been pleased with my 737 and 717 though but they had different engines. Use the search feature on here and you should be able to get many opinions from other folks.
  3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

The reference to the man with the 997 is to posts a few years back. He lived in Australia. The machine had a rear center discharge, and he was having trouble with debris on the air intake. However, I felt all his ranting and raving was bogus. He seemed to be looking to make trouble, and had little interest in getting a solution, rather just complain his problem wasn't getting fixed in the way he wanted. Finally, the issue was resolved, and he promptly quit the business to drive truck. Therefore, I would discount any feedback from that series of posts. I do not recall anybody else posting a similar complaint.
  4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Roger, if I remember correctly the guy was Mick-hippy( I Think, been last year or so) and he did try to get it fixed several times and the dealer kept doing a bandaid fix to it and deere CS did not help any at all. The dealer finally bought the mower back or either gave him another mower. If you remember he also posted about it when he first bought it about how happy he was with it until the problem started. More than likely deere has solved any growing pains with the 997 since then. The poster asked and that was just one post that stuck in my mind that is why I told him to do a search for all the post. The post on the problem 997 also disappeared for "whatever" reason. Once again, I am going from memory here and my memory ain't good as it once was. I wish everyone good luck with whatever they buy from Exmark to Dixie Chopper and everything in between. Thats what these forums are for, to discuss your experience, good or bad, with any machine.
  5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

No, the threads I was thinking about was not posted by Mick-h... It was somebody else. I just did a search, and found them. But, I'm not even going to provide the information here because I thought so little of all his ranting.

I realize the value of LS is to discuss pros and cons, exchange good and bad. I value the exchange highly. But, when somebody, in my mind, is merely using the forum to bash somebody, some manufacturer, some equipment, for the sake of bashing, then I check out. I felt that was the case.

Further, I think the situation there was so unique. Who has a rear center discharge JD mower? Who even knows they make one? He was not cutting lawns or reasonable turf, rather he was cutting properties that most of us would consider candidates for a brush hog. From my viewpoint, nothing shared in that thread is valuable to consider in making any JD 997 purchase decision.

I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, or unreasonable. A few times it is clear negative comments are made on LS by somebody who has some axe to grind, has no direct experience or history with a piece of equipment, but rather shares comments that are biased and unfounded on reality. This is a hazard of an open public forum.
  6. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

The postings you are referring to were from a fella in Austrailia. The 997 he had purchased was a first year production model and it would over heat and the rear radiator cover would become completely grass covered in no time.

To cut to the chase... the unit had a rear discharge on the mower and this seemed to be the cause of all of his problems. From the photo's it appeared that he seemed to be mowing alot of extremely tall grass. Must be a southern hemisphere thingie.
  7. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Some one has to have some decent 997 experiences and info.
  8. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Not me! I run a Super Z!
    It was Tonyr who had the trouble. In my opinion it was because of the rear discharge deck clipping etc would clog up the rear screen infront of the radiator and and make it over heat and shut down. While he did cut some long grass it wasnt something he did all the time. He had parks and acreage customers with just normal height grass, like we all do. All the "Ranting" was a way of blowing off steam for him and probably helped him get the new machine in the end. John Deere failed him by not backing up there new machine, it was his dealer who sorted it in the end!

In the end he got a side discharge machine and was extremely happy with it.

He sold out due to health reasons. All the stress (among other things) that RD machine caused him really took its toll on him!