997 w/60"RD Mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 7 IRON, Mar 5, 2007.

1. 7 IRON

7 IRON LawnSite Member
    from VT

Anyone Out There Using A John Deere 997 W/60" Rear Discharge Mower Deck?How Does The Cut Quality Compare To Side Discharge Mower Decks?:confused:

2. Imow4u2

Imow4u2 LawnSite Senior Member

I demoed one last fall, In dry conditions the RD Deck blows thatch between the rear wheels. It draws into the screen on the back of the machine and eventually you will over heat the motor... I don't think it's a problem with the side discharge decks..

3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Do a search. There was a man from Austrailia ("Tony" ...?) who made many, many posts about the JD RD mower. He had major problems, just as Imow4u2 stated -- clogging of the radiator screen in dry condition. He was very unhappy that JD did not have a fix for the problem, and complained endlessly here on LS (far too much, IMO).

He left LS a couple of years ago. I think he gave up the business in favor of driving trucks.

I hope I have the facts right. Somebody else may be able to correct my post if I am in error.

4. DeereHauler

DeereHauler LawnSite Senior Member

tony was a whiner.........i haven't heard anything good about any rear discharge decks, deere or any others.

5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed! The matter was blown way out of proportion. For all the complaining and believing he was owed changes, answers, service, etc, then he promptly up and quit the business.

6. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

Hello, spend 30,000 dollars on a mower and it clogs radiator screens to the point of over heating repeatedly . Whiner he is """"most definitely not""""
    Approx 12mths to rectify --WOW A deal was sorted out with a side discharge mower,no problems .

PRODUCT, FAILURE --YES
    J/DEERE CUSTOMER SUPPORT IN OZ, FAILURE --YES

The situation may only relate to aspects in oz ?? I was searching 4 a new mower just after this happened even considered j/d but i will most likely not considerj/d in future.

tomo:waving:

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I agree...

You guys have never been in such a position, otherwise you wouldn't make such remarks.
    If the shoe were on the other foot, you guys would be crying like babies.

Anyways, fact of the matter is that John Deere screwed up on some 997's.
    That was the REAL source of the clogging problem.

The clogging has/had nothing to do with the rear discharge deck.

The fact of the matter is that on the machines that do not happen to have a problem with the air intake... there is almost no problem with debris on the grill screen. Nothing out of the ordinary. VERY VERY minor, reguardless of deck type installed.

On the machines that DO have problems, total clogging with debris is an issue and happens pretty rapidly... again, regardless of deck type.

The problem with the affected machines is an issue with differences in the cool air intake system for the radiator. Either differences in the fan style/cfm or differences in the shroud.

8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Obviously, I felt the whole story got far, far more "ink" that it deserved. It sounded like this was a "horse to ride," and it was ridden into the sunset. Then the whole story took on another flavor when, after he apparently got something that worked, he quit. When I read that, the credibility of all the posts was lost. Oh yes, he may have had a problem, I'm not doubting that. But, he really wasn't interested in finding a solution so that he could continue with his business. He quit, in favor of truck driving.

9. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I liked him though he knew what he talking about. But he did think his Toro was the king of the hill. TonyR was his username.

10. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

I always wondered what happen to him.