9Hp B&S Vanguard on a generator won't run

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Jason Rose, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, I accquired a basically new generator today. It's proabably 5 years old, I don't know... Only been ran 2 or 3 times and then sat. It was given to a friend of mine who is somewhat of a small engine mechanic (he's the superintendent of a golf course) and he could not get it running a year ago but I thought I'd have a go at it.

First thing I did was drain the fuel, remove the carb and took bowl off carb and thorughly cleaned every orafice with carb cleaner and compressed air. I was real careful to get everything clean! I also checked the plug, which is new, and while it was out I sprayed a little engine fog in the cylinder since it has been sitting so long. replaced plug. I changed the oil, reassembled the carb and added some fuel. both fuel valves are ON and there is fuel getting to the bowl, I can take the bowl off and fuel pours out and I can stop the flow by pushing the float up, so i know the needle valve is ok. Yes I made sure the kill switch was in the ON position... BUT when I try to start it I get nothing, no attempt to fire with choke on or off. If i give it a shot of starting fluid it will start on the first pull and then die after about 2 seconds. :angry: Obviously it's just not getting fuel, right? But everthing is clean and fuel is flowing, so i'm guessing the carb is not picking it up? bad diaphram? (if it has one, i don't know how to get to it...)

If anyone has any bright ideas i'm open for suggestion! I paid 150 bucks and helped haul and cut tree limbs on the golf course for a few hours to pay for it.
    Priced a new one comparable size, around $1,200 :dizzy: So if I have to just take it to the repair shop I'm still not too bad off, plus if the power goes out I'm set!

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

If it has a low oil shut down switch which most generator have now days it could be malfunctioning. First check the oil to see that it is at the right level. Look in the side of the engine and if it has a low oil shut down on it you will see a wire going to a nut mounted in a plastic housing. Unhook this wire and then see if you get fire. If you do then you need to replace the low oil shut down switch. PS.. NEVER USE STARTING FLUID ON A SMALL ENGINE. SERVER ENGINE DAMAGE CAN RESULT. USE GASOLINE ONLY.

3. Jason Rose

fixer 67

thanks for the reply, i forgot to mention that yes it does have a low oil shut off and i was aondering how, if it wasn't working, i would be able to by-pass it. Just unplugging it should do the trick you say so i'll try that.

Oh, and I have always used starting fluid on small engines (i don't have that many starting probs tho) but i have only heard to not use it on 2 cycle stuff since theres no lube in it. I know it's harsh stuff, and you seem to be very against it, not going to argue with you, I just wonder how many other people share that same opinion? I guess i have to admit, the stuff i have used it on in the past has needed it for a reason: JUNK ENGINE (usually small hp). I know how much small engines cost and I don't want to purposely tear one up!

4. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Ya know.. I was gonna tell you to check the low oil sensor also.. but figured fixer would be along at some point. We just had a generator in the shop with a 10hp Tecumseh on it that ended up being mainly the low oil sensor and it didn't have enough oil in it. It was full when you checked it, but the engine would start and then suddenly die. Guess when it got the first bounce, it sloshed the oil and was away from the sensor.

5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

If the sensor is not the problem you may need to replace the carb gaskets. That would cause it not to pick up fuel. Be sure to keep us updated. Hope this helps.

6. Jason Rose

OK, well I got the problem fixed. It was nothing more than clogged jets on the carb. I sprayed it real good, multiple times and used air to blow it out as best as I could and had no luck. The low oil switch was fine too... Finally gave up and took it to my mechanic who looked at it right when I brought it in. All he did was took off the carb and dropped into a can of carb cleaner and let it sit for about 45 minutes, swished it around, blew it out and re-assembled it. turned on the fule and it fired right up! I feel dumb, since someone told me to do that one time a few years ago to really clean a carburator that's really gummed up. Guess I need to get a gallon of carb cleaner and keep it in a coffee can for just such an ocassion and it's save me 50 bucks next time. I just never have any luck working on those small carburators... yet they are soooo simple and idiot proof, i thought...

7. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I have been in the small engine repair for a long time and in that time I have seen spark plugs blown out of heads, heads cracked, valves bent, holes blown in pistons, mufflers gutted or even blown off, and even carbs gutted or blown clear off the intake manifold all because of using starting fluid on small engines. And I will tell you another thing about using starting fluid on any engine; small, car, truck or whatever. Starting fluid is like cocaine on an engine it will get addicted to it and will get to the point that it will not start no matter what unless you use starting fluid every time. I have seen it happen over and over again first hand. Glad you got it running.

8. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with fixer about the starting fluid. I too have seen what starting fluid can do to a engine. Starting fluid washes down the cly walls and then you are cranking a engine with no lubication on the rings. If you are really set on using something try WD 40. It works great and you still have some lube in the cly.