9hp or 13.5hp Renovater

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Thunderbolt, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt LawnSite Member

I am going to purchase a Lawn Solutions Renovater in afew weeks,just wondering what your guys opinion would be on which one to purchase. I have a mix of small and large lawns. Also wondering which one would work best in the wet spring soil.:usflag:

2. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

Get the 20 inch with a 13.5 very powerful and will fit all jobs. 2nd choice would be the 24 inch with a 13.5 but you may run into some gates that it will not fit through the 30 inch is great as a second unit.

If your avg size yard is 5K to 7K or under and you have lots of 32 inch gates go with the 20 inch. JMO.

I have a 20 inch now for the past 5 years and love it.

3. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

I have the big boy, and love it. Makes quick work of large areas but as mentioned gates can be an issues. We have had it on two wheels to go sideways through a gate or two but its a pain. Tight areas can be trouble and sometimes we hand rake the seed in tight spots we cant get too, but I love the machine and you will love whichever one you get. If I had the 20" to compliment the 30" that would be ideal

4. Thunderbolt

Can you get the 13.5 on the 20"?

5. Barefoot James

Yep you can! They can put anything on it - even bigger if you request it! They are the power seeder pros. They can even put straight pipes on it if you ask - course it would sound like a dragster:laugh:

6. Thunderbolt

13.5 on a 20" and strait pipes I LIKE it.:drinkup::cool2::)

7. Snowy66

Snowy66 LawnSite Member

Definately the 13.5!!! I upgraded my 7 HP to the 9 HP and am really disappointed. It's ok but unless you are doing a really smooth lawn, you will have to restart it pretty often.

8. Thunderbolt

Looks like the 13.5 is the way to go thanks everyone.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Barefoot James

If you are clogging down and digging deep and it is shutting off your tines are too deep:nono: - this is what harley rakes are for. the TR is great for doing small areas of finish grading - back and forth to smooth it out but large areas are best suited for harley rakes. for seeding purposes the tines on have to scratch the surface. Now if you are talking 'clumpy fescue lawns' meaning clumps of fescue exsist and then patches of bare dirt down deep - so you feel you need to set the tines down deep to get the tines to scratch the surface on the dirt - this is the wrong approach too! Because you have the correct depth for the bare dirt but the clumps you just cut them thru too deep. Basically you need better site prep on these properties. The best solution here is to aerate deep 2 to three passes and THEN powerseed. the plugs will help to stabilize the ground and fill in the low patches of dirt and then the powerseeder will slice up everything and make the ground much smoother without having to dig to deep into clumps of fescue - so you can set the tine depth to the clumps and not the ground cause the cores will be on the top of the patches and you just have to slice them up.

Now slopes are another matter. The TR has a auto shut off on the motor that shuts down the engine on slopes when the engine is in the same posiition for too long like 15 secs because there are no oil pumps to throw th oil up and keep the engine from burning out. So if you were to say have long stretches on a side hill without this feature you could potentially burn up an engine - if you were to say pull that wire so it would not cut off the engine. Now that said you really have to understand these machine and how they work to get the maximum value from one - just like any piece of quality equipment. Call LS and they can give you tips and help you out. They are great folks!

Hopefully these pointers will help you out. I have done over 500 properties now with a TR and seen it all - especially those rental folks who I drive past and then three hours later dirve past and they are still on their 4th pass. I ALWAYS stop to say high and tell them oh - by the way your tines are too deep. let me show you a 'magic' trick and do a couple passes for them, tell them they should hire me next time and I'm on my way!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  10. Snowy66

Snowy66 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the tips James. I am doing Fescue lawns. I set the height on the concrete so I would know exactly where the tines were at. I set them so they are just touching the concrete. The yards I did were not really that bad. Not a pool table but not extremely rough either.
    I did a double to triple aeration on them using my pull behind. So you bring up a good point that maybe I should set the height to just grind up the plugs instead of worrying about scratching the surface.
    I was still not too pleased with the power. I read all these posts about using the 9HP units to level yards while pulling a sulky.
    Guess I will use it to only grind plugs until I can get the bigger engine.