A 15 Minute mow

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shane7258, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Shane7258

Shane7258 LawnSite Member

I have read a lot of folks saying they mow a yard in 15 minutes or 30 teach me and I will be able to command and conquer. For a small yard I am at tops 50 minutes to include mowing weedeating and edgin and a blow off. Perhaps I am to attentive to detail but I would still love to trim my times down. What is reccomended weedeating first or after the mow?

2. MOJO111

MOJO111 LawnSite Member

Buy a ZTR :D That'll do it payup

3. gogetter

gogetter Banned

What size lawns are you doing (square footage, "small lawn" doesn't tell us anything), and what mower are you using?

4. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

Just like gogetter posted we need a few more specific details. But the main factor IMO is the equipment you are using. A yard that takes 50 min w/ a 21" can easily be done in 5-10 with a ZTR or a 48" W/B. My best solo time is about 22 minutes on a 12000sq ft yard. With my helper we do do some of the smaller ones in 9-10 minutes but thats if everything goes smooth. Most of mine take 30-45 and I have a 48" W/B that im pretty quick with. I always read these posts about solo guys saying they can do a yard in five minutes includind unloading, loading, timming ect. I find this hard to believe. It takes me that long to unload and get everything going.
    What you need to focus on is charging enough so you can make a profit based on how long it takes you. Not how long you would like to do it in. If it takes you 40 min make sure your getting 35-40 per cut.

5. Shane7258

Shane7258 LawnSite Member

I would like to thank everyone for their response I use a 21 Snapper commercial with a kawasaki engine I do understand why it takes me that long but even if i had a ztr weedeating to standard takes me a lil while too thanks
    Shane

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Shane, don't let what you read here at Lawnsite get you down. Without bothering to measure anything a lot of people here just guess at what size a lawn might be. One of my favorites was a guy who thought the infield of a baseball diamond was just over an acre. The truth is it's .19 acre or just under 1/5 of an acre. There are also a lot of variables involved in each individual yard and what level of service is done. There was a guy here last week that was complaining that his help was doing too good of a job and it was taking them too long. They would edge all of the beds every week and make sure that all of the grass trimming was done. Heavens forbid they should actually do what the customer pays for!

My advise to you is don't worry about how long it takes. Leave your watch at home. Seriously! Charge a fair price, don't take any guff off of your customers, make sure they all pay, do the best job you can and stick to what you know best. You will soon become an expert and the customers will seek you out just for your talents. Been there, doing that!

7. K c m

K c m LawnSite Senior Member

"I always read these posts about solo guys saying they can do a yard in five minutes includind unloading, loading, timming ect. I find this hard to believe. It takes me that long to unload and get everything going. "

More like 10 minutes door down to door up. I live in the city and some of my properties have front yards that are 16 square feet and the back yard which can be done with a 21" in about 5 passes.

8. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

my brother and I can do a lot of a total size of 8000-11000sqft and with a lawn size approximately 1700sqft smaller than the total lot size in about 15-30minutes.

we average at 20 minutes, but some take longer as far as blowing and trimming goes.

we are using a lazer hp 48" and a quick 36 to do the mowing. all other equipment and hand tools are commercial.

the time is from getting there, to leaving the property.

9. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

I meant an actual yard. 5k or more.

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

mr martin is a fountain of false information. i said they were trimming, where no trimming was needed. thanks brad