A Backflow Retrofit

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Wet_Boots, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

When not drawing moustaches on photos, I occasionally do the odd repair. This one was fun because of the tight quarters around the exit pipe from the house being in the valve box. RPZ was added, and the indoor master valve was relocated. Too bad there weren't any extra wires to power it, but a simple workaround dealt with that. (thank goodness for electromechanical timers)
    [​IMG]

2. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Nice clean job Boots... or did you just manipulate the picture? :)

3. Wet_Boots

Moi? Manipulate pictures? The very idea!!
    [​IMG]

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

5. Wet_Boots

It was pretty secure without standoffs, and sort of stuck in a corner. I wasn't eager to add to the time spent, since it was really running into kaching-plus territory. I told one (probably former) customer that the needed backflow upgrade was going to be at least five hundred bucks, since he also had an indoor master valve that would have to be removed and reinstalled outdoors.

6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Off the hook, you got enough trouble w/ ROTAR/FIMCO.

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Because Henry liked my red lines so much....

I give you a B- in the Jon's Angle Scoring Index.

rpzretrofitbk4.jpg

8. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

The red line doesn't lie. <tip toes out...>

9. Wet_Boots

You can't red-line a photo that's taken at an angle, and expect to demonstrate anything. The retrofit work is a lot touchier than an install, since you may be soldering a pipe very near to where the control wires are. My usual practice has been to run a control cable in the same hole that the copper pipe exits the foundation, but when I rework backflow, and want to solder on a gate valve as a whole-system shutoff, but risk melting the insulation of the wire that's alongside the pipe, I kind of wish a second hole had been drilled for the control wire.

10. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Seems that we went 'round with Jon on this issue before? :)