A backward bidding question

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bicmudpuppy, Feb 20, 2006.

1. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Ok, I spend more time in the irrigation forum than anywhere else, but I find myself suddenly (and slightly unexpectedly) living in front of the drafting table again, pouring through specs and plans bidding commercial work for both landscape and irrigation. I hired on to bust my hump on residential, but we went to lunch for the final hiring interview and came back to find out the commercial estimator quit. So, I tucked one hat under the other and rolled up my sleeves. Now, for the basic question. For those of you doing substantial amounts of commercial bidding, what return percentage do you average on your bidding? In two weeks, I have signed off on bids in excess of half a million. I am the primary estimator, so you can get a feel for the size this outfit isn't. If I hit the 25% I am used to doing residential work, I need to breathe for a while and see what really happens. The reality I am expecting would be more like 10%. What do you guys out there see in projects bid vs. projects awarded? I realize how many factors affect this, but I am just looking for feed back. Do you only hit 10%, but pick and chose what you bid? Do you bid high to keep the percentage down intentionally and then get 10% or maybe less? Do you have it all down to scratch and see 20%+ awarded contracts, but make less money by percentage?