A bid with a feel good story......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by A1 Lawn@Landscapes, Mar 2, 2002.

1. A1 Lawn@Landscapes

A1 Lawn@Landscapes LawnSite Member

I gave a bid today on a commercial property. 150,000 ft2 of grass done weekly, Bagged, edged and trimmed with 8 buildings on site to avoid. I bid $498/ week. About 12 man hours. About 1/3 is hills and small pain in the neck areas. Sound about right???????

I got the job not because of price, I was the highest of the five bids, I got it because I was the only legit company! They required a copy of my insurance for liability, workers comp, and vehicles. They also required 3 references from customers, preferably commercial. If everyone did this, the hacks ( what the non-legit guys are called around here ) would disappear.
  2. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Just a question to everyone...I have insurance (general liability) but I do not have workers comp....I am pretty much a solo operation with a part timer that helps....why do I need workers comp ? If I didnt even have a part timer why would I need it ? I had a HOA guy ask me if I had insurance and workers comp...I said Yes...and no.
  3. E-man

E-man LawnSite Member
    from PA

If you are running your business completely solo then you do not need workmans comp on yourself .But if you have a part time or full time employee you have to carry it .It dont matter if he only works say 20 hours a week , it is required by law . and your business needs it encase that employee would get seriously injured on the job, the comp takes care of it and you dont have out of pocket expenses for his injury.

to me its peace of mind.

glad to here you got the bid. You are right about the companys not asking for all the proper paper work. I placed a bid last year at a factory, they did not ask for insurance or anything. I did however give them all the copys of insurance and comp .when I submitted the bid I ended up winning that bid. I lost it this year to a cheaper guy. Company changed managers , you guys know the rest of the story.
  4. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

What happens if you get hurt?? Lets hope that does not ever happen, but what if it does?

5. JML

JML LawnSite Senior Member

Here in NJ, my insurance guy told me you have to put workmans comp. on yourself if you are a corporation, because your just like everyone else that works for the corporation, an employee. I have myself under workmans comp. because of state laws....
  6. Isn't life great when doing things right pays off.
  7. A1 Lawn@Landscapes

A1 Lawn@Landscapes LawnSite Member

Does the $ sound right?????? Just wondering if I over bid. Some were as low as $219 for what I figure as 12 man hours. I have lost much work to 2 of the bidders. One ( the lowest ) has a truck and a van he takes to every lawn. He has about 8 guys with him. 1 ztr, 2 w/b, 2 push mowers, 2 trimmers, and 1 blower. All these guys for properties of about 1/2 acre each. He has been around for at least 10 years. I just do not see how he makes it.
  8. wallzwallz

wallzwallz LawnSite Senior Member

Commercials need you to have WC to cover their end. A1 sounds maybe a little low for commercial.
  9. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

do you need wc. if your part time help is paid "contract labor"?
  10. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

WC is not required in Virginia regardless of company structure unless you have more than 3 employees. I guess thats why you see most trucks with 3 guys and no more around here.

As far as your bid I have a similar sounding property and I charge $580 per cut.