A big mistake!!

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by TiredOfWalking, May 21, 2004.

1. TiredOfWalking

TiredOfWalking LawnSite Member

I had almost 4 acres I used to mow but decided not to mow over half of it and just get a tractor instead of a ZTR. Well....BIG mistake.

I hate having that field not mowed and besides that, using the small 38in/15HP Cub to mow the 1.5+ acres just absolutely sux!! My grass is very thick and I have many trees/obstacles so it takes me almost 2.5 hours to get all this done.

I'm just miserable and pissed that I made the wrong decision and now want to reverse gears and get back to a ZTR. I just hope I don't take too much of a beating on a Cub with only maybe 15 hours on it. And, I hope I don't go overboard on what I buy.

I originally wanted a Fastrak but now I've been looking at Ebay and the used ZTR market. I'd much rather get a commercial unit that will over power my grass. I'm thinking at least a 48in deck with over 20hp.

I keep reading and reading and am curious about the Everride Warrior. I see them listed on Ebay and heard I could get a 54in/25hp Kaw for under $7k. So, I've looked at their website and tried to get dealer info, but no luck. I contacted the distributer in my area (which they have listed on their website) but I received no response. I then contacted the company directly and again got not response.

Anyone know of a Everride dealer in the Buck County, PA area (Northern suburb of Phila)? I just want to check them out.

Also, any good recommendations of where to find a used ZTR. Scag, Hustler, Ferris, Exmark, Toro, Gravely, Great Dane, Everride, Dixie Chopper, etc.....

2. JHE

JHE LawnSite Member

You can get a full size Hustler Z, 23hp/60" deck now for @$7,000. Hurry - the sale ends at the end of May. Drive down to Delaware and pick it up and you will not have to pay sales tax. I looked at used mowers but was concerned about the hours and maintenance. I simply did not want something that was run 10 hours a day and that I could not get any feel for how good maintenance was. Any ones with low hours were old or you did not get the warranty. The hustler sale also includes the Mini-Z and homeowner models. Good luck.
  3. JHE

JHE LawnSite Member

Also, look around for a leftover. They are few and far between but there is a dealer in my area with a 2003 Ferris 3000is that is selling far cheaper than the 2004's. 25hp Kaw and a 60" deck.
  4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Depends where you are in bucks...........
    Neighbors home and garden in Hellertown is an exmark and john deere dealer,occasionally they have some worthwhile used equipment.
    Of course they always have some nice shiny new exmarks as well!
  5. TiredOfWalking

TiredOfWalking LawnSite Member

I'm in the Lower Bucks area (Holland/Langhorne area)

It's odd that a company that is trying to break into the ZTR market wouldn't get back to me on where I can buy the Warrior.
  6. JHE

JHE LawnSite Member

What is your price range for a new mower - maybe that will help narrow down the field?
  7. moonkat

moonkat LawnSite Member

I got my EverRide Warrior 60" from Benson OPE in Aston, PA.
    Matt Pruett was good to work with and knowledgeable.
    Do a search on EverRide here to learn more of experiences with mower and dealer.

By the way, the EverRide is serving me very well mowing my 8 acres of lawn and pasture fast. Had a weeks worth of mowing heavy growth lawn and pasture and did about 7 acres in three hours (1 hour/1acre lawn, 2 hours/6 acres pasture).
  8. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

The ER Warrior would be overkill for 4 acres. I demoed a Country Clipper JAZee on the back section I had given up mowing 2 years ago. It was 3-4' tall with brush as thick as my thumb (way too much for the JD and CCadet residential riders I tried). The 19hp Kawi 48" heavy duty fabricated deck (flips-up for easy maintenance) and 19,000 fpm blade tip speed handled it surprisingly well (slow speed with discharge chute raised up). The JAZee was a little over $4k. If you still want something in the Warrior class, check out the new Charger (23hp/52" under $6k) at www.countryclipper.com Good luck!
  9. mow_man_MD

mow_man_MD LawnSite Member

can you recomend any delaware dealers???

10. JHE

JHE LawnSite Member

Mow_man_md - Jump on the sponsor web sites at the top of the main page (Hustler, Gravely, Ferris, Exmark, etc.) and do a dealer search. All of the manufacturer sites allow you to do this. Put in the zip of 19720 (That is New Castle DE) and it should bring up all of the manufacturers in New Castle County. I don't know any zip codes for Kent and Sussex Counties but if you are closer to those Counties get a zip for them and do the same thing.