1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

A Big Rock Wall

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by JimLewis, Nov 24, 2007.

1. tamo

tamo LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for the reply Jim. I was asking about the gaps behind the wall -- the non face side with the irregular shapes.I figure is it's best to fill most of those gaps with small chunks, but I was wondering if you also let some drain rock fill in the voids on the backside?

Thanks again.
  2. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Oh. Gotcha.

Yah, in those areas we do both. Sometimes we'll actually use a whole decent sized stone to make the face-stones stand up the way we want. But more often it's smaller pieces of the wall stone or the gravel drainage. Yah, there are probably 50-100 stones hidden behind the wall in certain areas for that purpose.
  3. tamo

tamo LawnSite Member

Great, thanks a lot for the info.
  4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Have you gone back to take some pictures since the plants filled in? I always liked those before, after and 3-5 year later pictures where your real design brilliance shows through. Provided that is they had a decent maint company maintaining the place.
  5. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I never have. No. I usually never have time to go back and take photos after we install stuff. I wish I did. Maybe one day... right after we apply new mulch!