A bird in the hand...

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Jul 25, 2007.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

... isn't always worth two in the bush. :)

Had to remove two valves and a QCV from a "dirt turf" area we installed in '92. Since kids milling around cannot be controlled, grass has never been able to develop in two areas... especially when they loaded them up with tables to eat on. Both areas are being concreted in which will then take the pressure off another area that is being renovated back into grass. This is all occurring because I had refused to replace sprinklers in dirt areas that then became safety hazards due to slips in the mud.

Valley Oak Concrete Project 7-24-07 IV-01.jpg

Valley Oak Concrete Project 7-24-07 IV-02.jpg

Valley Oak Concrete Project 7-24-07 IV-03.jpg

Valley Oak Concrete Project 7-24-07 IV-04.jpg

2. Is this the weeping HR?

3. PurpHaze

Unsure. Reminds me more of the tree people in "Lord of the Rings". :)

4. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

That looks not like any fun. Jackhammer? Its been walked on a few too many times.

5. PurpHaze

It really wasn't too bad with the electric jackhammer. It was so compacted with foot traffic and roots there was no way I was going to use just a shovel on it. We were able to clear the inlet/outlet sides and then use our sawz-alls to cut them. Then we broke the valve loose with a pry bar giving us access to the inlet we needed to cap. Under everything it was hardened sand that we were able to break loose with shovels and clear the area out.

6. PurpHaze

Some pictures as to why we removed these valves.

Valley Oak Beautification Project 8-8-07 IV-01.jpg

Valley Oak Beautification Project 8-8-07 IV-02.jpg

Valley Oak Beautification Project 8-8-07 IV-03.jpg

Valley Oak Beautification Project 8-8-07 IV-04.jpg

7. PurpHaze

Last three pics from today.

Valley Oak Beautification Project 8-8-07 IV-05.jpg

Valley Oak Beautification Project 8-8-07 IV-06.jpg

Valley Oak Beautification Project 8-8-07 IV-07.jpg

8. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

Up here, they'd make you collect all the water from your new impervious surface you poured and direct it into a infiltration system! That's if you weren't already over your limit based on code...

Nice turf; with a stick edger and some stripes, it could look incredible. The fun I could have with that piece of grass.

9. PurpHaze

This project all started because there were four zones that I refused to service. They were either completely bare or mostly bare from foot traffic and eating areas. I put my foot down that all the irrigation was doing was creating slick muddy slopes where students and staff would slip/fall on. It went all the way up the chain and monies were released to beautify the area. The concrete areas among the trees is where the lunch tables will be placed.

10. Good looking area purp. You stuck to your guns and the district was rewarded for it.:gunsfirin payup