A blast from the past

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mdirrigation, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Went out to turn on a sprinkler , new owners of the home, get there its a Toro hydraulic system. The customer tells me it hasnt been used for 10 years. I turn it on , it works, a few broken heads which I expected . Now the best part they had some paperwork ,the system was installed in 1971.
  2. h2o2gunr

h2o2gunr LawnSite Member

i remember back when i was a newbie greenhorn and i came accross a leak in the controller. i had a rather embarassing disscusion with my boss about it.
    some technology i hate, ill never miss hydraulic systems.
  3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

What is a hydraulic system? I have never seen or heard of one here. I've read about some of you discussing them, but have no clue.
  4. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

There are no wires to the valves , but instead there are tubes , the controller changes the pressure in the tubes in order to open or close the valves. There are 2 types of valves , normal open or normal closed . They are the original automatic lawn sprinkler system. I have run into maybe 10 over my 20 years in business . I have changed 4 over to electric and maintain 3 that still work.
  5. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

I went to my first toro universtiy school and the teacher said if he were installing irrigations systems he would only do hydros. I thought the guy had fell off da truck. We had em on the football fileds and hated them things. We also had them converters from elec. to hydro they were in a valve box. Now dat wuz fun as well. I'm glad they replaced em with a new field and them sorry toro 640's heads. The ones that pop up bout 2.5". They suck as well.