A bobbygedd~ish story/problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Apr 9, 2004.

?

How would you handle this?

1. Call back and explain to him why I'm mad and won't be servicing his property any longer.

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. Call back and explain why I'm mad, then offer my way or the highway.

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Drop by with a full service contract since I did it all last year anyway and let him take it or leav

13 vote(s)
    61.9%
  4. Other

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Bobby, I think some of the PITA's you have to deal with up there are migrating down this way. Check this story out....

Then he goes on telling me this long story about how much he loves his new lawn and how it was so thick that he burnt up his mower trying to cut it and had to go borrow one to finish what he did... yada, yada.... and how it was so thick that no weeds were in it, and starts hinting about about the name of the products I used, trying to get me to tell him.

So he says, we can probably skip this week coming up, mow the whole thing and catch up the parts he didn't mow to even it out with the rest. Then he tells me he wants me to sow these other areas he has ready out near the woods and around back. I say OK that area is the same size as what we done last fall, so I'll do it for the same price less the aeration since it's ready. But it's getting late for this so sooner the better how about we do that this week and a fert app on the entire property. I'll mow next week.

He says well.... I don't need any fertilize in the new turf areas, I put out that weed-n-feed stuff I had in the basement. Strike Two! I say "what??? I told you to wait on that and let me take care of things so no new seedlings are killed!" He says yeah I was going to ask you to put some seed here and there because a few areas on the fringes are thin.

So we go through that whole deal back and forth. Then I tell him OK, same price as last year minus fert for the new turf areas and aeration. He beats around the bush and gives me the impression that now somehow that seems a bit steep to him. I just nip the ramblings in the bud and repeat the items less the others and the price. Then I explain how the whole job is going to be a dead run just for him... so it will be $.

So he says well for that couldn't I get the app, install and a cut? I say I could do that, just know I can't guarantee that I'll be able to get the entire lawn due to the fact that I'm not certain the machine I tow the spreader with will be able to cut one area without getting stuck and I don't have room to haul the whole fleet down.

He says "well I'd want to be sure the whole thing was cut." I'm thinking dang, he's so worried all the sudden bout everything being cut when just a few minutes ago he was telling me I think we can skip this week and wait to catch it all up nest week??? What? Penny pinching! So I offered to bring the other mowers to cut it all and push spread the apps for a few bucks extra to cover my time and the physical labor involved in having to push spread everything.

Now at this point he goes and grows a pair the size of bowling balls and says to me.... "just go ahead and skip coming this week. For that, just go ahead and pick up the seed and fert for me and I'll pay you $ for them when you come to mow. I bought a new little spreader to put that weed-n-feed out with, so I can just put out the seed and fertilize and myself. STRIKE THREE! YOU'RE OUTTA HERE!

At this point I was just beside myself. I knew if I stayed on the phone and talked to this guy any longer I would just completely loose it. Still in shock I just said, "listen I'll call you back the first of next week and well talk more then" and I hung up.

It's been almost a week now and I've not cooled down one bit. In fact the more I think about it, the madder I get! The nerve of some people! I wonder if he would try that with the Chinese food delivery? He calls up and says, yes I'd like some chicken fried rice, and a soda.... and I'd like that delivered. The Chinese guy says OK your total will be $6.73. Then he says to them, listen for that much just bring me the soda, that's $1 and just go ahead and bring me the ingredients and recipe for the chicken fried rice. That's what $3 total? I've got a wok here so I can cook it myself.

I think he'd still be waiting on that delivery, don't you?

How would you all handle this?

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

you told him once right? that's it, it's done. i refuse to explain myself to a client. when he asked u to bring the seed, i would have told him, in a nice way, check out home depot, here, (write it down) see if they have this blend, it will work best for that area. if he insists u bring it, just tell him you'll be there at 5, then don't show. when he calls, say u were there, he wasn't. then tell him you'll be right over, then don't go. then call an hour later, say u knocked and knocked and he didn't answer, repeat proccess 3-4 times, then blow him off.

3. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

HAHAHAHA! Id love to try to do that without laughing bobby!

4. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you have explained your services enough, he will be trying to get you down in price more and more. He!! he might even get you to wash his cars and clean his house for the same price while you are cutting the lawn. I would not call him back, DONE!!!! He's history...

5. googleplex

googleplex LawnSite Member

You know, as I read more and more of these stories, I become convinced that these are "manhhod issues".

These homeowners are somehow emasculated that you can get their lawns looking so good, and it becomes a sore point with them. So they try to prove to themselves that they can do just as good a job.

But I have no idea how I'd handle that.

6. Envy Lawn Service

hehehehehe :D

I only use premium professional products and he knows it. Otherwise he would have already been over at Home Cheapo to buy some seed so he could cut me out of the picture altogether. He knows my products are better. But he doesn't have access to them and he knows the homeowner stuff ain't going to match up in genetic color.

But I think he has added insult to injury here as well and now that I think about it I'm even more ticked off. What I mean is, I guess he has told himself that the secret to my sucess v/s his continued failure lies in the products only. That is insulting and basically that IS what he's saying here isn't it?

googleplex,

I think you really put this in perspective with the "manhood issues" statement. I believe you are 100% correct. Nevertheless, it's insulting and a rude penny pinching thing for anyone to do.

7. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I deliver. Yep at the cost of what I would do the application for. I get people every year asking If I will deliver the fertilizer and seed that I would use to overseed and such. Yep. How many sq ft do you have. 5000 HMMM that will be 500 bucks.
    I have had some tell me where to go and some go for it. What the hell delivering 50 bucks worth of stuff for 500.

8. Envy Lawn Service

Sildoc,

Sorry to hear that you get this often. I'm glad this is not a regular thing for me because i'm a bit thin skinned about being treated that way.

Do you really charge $100 per thousand for just the application???