A bobbygedd story

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The Lawn Boy Pro, May 27, 2004.

1. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

So Im doing my usual thing late in the afternoon, cleaning my rig all off from a hard days work. My dads friend comes by, and asks if I can do his moms house for $25. I said well I'll have to see how big it is first, but I dont drop my gate for less than $35.He says, "shes had 2 other guys do it for $25, then they left. THEN he says "I had to do it myself a few times and it ONLY (BIG only) takes me 3 hours on a 60" tractor to cut." Im thinkin to myself "what a redneck". So anyhow, I tell him, "ok, I'll do it ONCE for $35. My mo will give you $35, and I'll give you the other $10." I knew by the sounds of it that it was a $60 lawn. So i cruise over to this ladys house, and knock on the door. No one comes out after 3 knocks, so i take a look around the yard. the front was a typical 50'x 150'. the backyard was a 150'x500' WIDE OPEN, not a tree in sight, besides the brush in the VERY FAR OFF back. I'm thinkin to myself, who the he!! does this for $25!?!?!?!?!?!. She decides to come out (at 2PM) in a night gown, and tells me to have at it. "Just dont get any grass on my rocks, and my driveway, and this, and that too, and the rest registered in my mind as blah blah blah. So i start, the front takes me less than ten minutes, then i make a pass down the left hand side of the yard, all the way to the very back. once im to the back, I turn around VERY slowly, and look to my left, everything that still needs to be cut, and then my eyes pass over what the 48" metro just cut (the 52" encore is being repaired...needed a new deck belt). so anyhow, the job ended up taking 1 1/2 hours....in 4th gear on the Metro 48"er. I wanted to choke myself for that job.

Later, my dad saw his friend at ACO Hardware store, and he gave my dad $5. my dad said "whats this?" and his friend said that he wasnt gonna give my dad the other $5 to give to me, because I was "just a kid" and didnt have any bills whatsoever to pay. He!! yeah i do, i pay for ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING that i use. everything from gas to parts to insurance. EVERY LAST BIT. I was sooooooo pizzed off:angry:.

Anyhow, I figure if i talk to the lady, I can get $40 (at LEAST), more than likely more out of her. It sure would make her son (my dads friend) ticked off. He derseves it too. :)

Sorry it was soooo long, but it really ticked me off.

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would send a bill to the guy for the money with a letter that if he doesn't pay it then you will charge him late fees

3. ahfd311

ahfd311 LawnSite Member

ALWAYS look at the job before you give a price......
    That must have sucked!

4. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

You'd be more professional, since you did agree to do it for $25 the first time (without seeing it first), to let it go at $25 and try to land the account at YOUR price. And don't forget the PITA factor since she likes to bark orders.

5. The Lawn Boy Pro

Anyone ever get that feeling though? making the first pass, then turning around only to think "im gonna be here awhile...uh huh!"?

I do check lawns before i mow them, but he was a friend, and my dad kinda pressured me into doing it, so i did. Nonetheless, it really sucked.

6. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

i got to mow a 50x100 field, i only had a 36 and the grass was TALL. Took me like 2 hours. Harsh. Made more $ though, but still it sucked.

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

another thing that you can do that I do is make a list of people that have screwed me over or have taken advantage of me while mowing. So when it comes time that they want something, which happens often, I always look at my list and refer to what they did to me before and say, "Well, I am sorry, since last time you screwed me out of money I can't service you." It really embarrasses them

8. The Lawn Boy Pro

Thats a good idea, maybe i should try that :).

9. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

So, did you end up with 30, or 40???
    Bottom line, the guy said he'd give you the extra 10 bucks, he gave 5, he's going back on his word, with your age as an excuse. At what age would he have stood by his word? Ask him that.
    Crawdad

10. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

"shes had 2 other guys do it for $25, then they left.

I WOULD HAVE SAID..."AND HOW'S THAT WORKING FOR YA?"