1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

A brand new rider for $4000!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfsolutions, Jan 28, 2007.

1. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

I was in Lowes yesterday and saw a brand new John Deere 48 inch hydrostatic zero turn mower with a 23 hp briggs engine for $3999. It looked pretty darn close to commercial grade, however, I am sure there are some differences. They had a homeowner grade zero turn riding mower 42 inch 18 hp for $2899.

I could not believe the price of these mowers. Is John Deere low balling to gain control of the market? I mean you could buy 2 of the 48 inch riders for the price of 1 (Scag, Bobcat, Hustler, Wright etc...)

Have you guys seen this and what do you think???
  2. corey1977

corey1977 LawnSite Senior Member
    from maine

was it the easy track I heard thay were going to be selling them thay have the same pumps as there big brothers but jde says its a home owner machine
  3. NMS0219

NMS0219 LawnSite Senior Member

Home depot has them too. They do look close to comercial dont know what the diff is.
  4. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Close but no cigar. Once again these are strictly homeowner units designed to run 2-3 hrs a week. They have the infamous EZT drives which are anything but heavy duty. The deck is stamped (dead give-away). The spindles are 1/2 the size of commercial units. Take your 4000$ and put a down payment on a real machine. These manufactures need to stop trying to convince people that these machines can be used for even light commercial duty. These are just toys for DIYers' that want to one up the neighbor.:usflag: :usflag: :usflag:
    ericg likes this.
  5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

people have to stop trying to use the wrong tool for this job.... it wont last and will be a waste of money with no resale value, and what about service, when it breaks down in a couple of months, is lowes going to service it, no, you will be sent to an actual dealer who will put the people who buy machines from them ahead of you in repairs, could be there for weeks......

now honestly, you have been in business over 10 years and you are asking this question.....????????
  6. bowhunter74

bowhunter74 LawnSite Member
    from mo

I agree, i bought a "John Deere" lawn tractor from Lowes last year all it is is a repackaged MTD they will even tell you that you can't get a real John Deere from them you have to go through a dealership. I won't look at JD the same way ever again:nono:
  7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Remember that thread that was on here a while back?

Remember what I said in it?

Now tell me I'm wrong guys.....
  8. bowhunter74

bowhunter74 LawnSite Member
    from mo

Tell me about that that thread.
  9. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

Home Depot takes parts that would be metal or what not and re manufacture the part in plastic to cut costs. An 8k mower will last twice as long with out the breakdowns every other week.
  10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Does Home Depot manufacture machines like this? I think not! They are a retailer, not a manufacturer.