a buck a minute is OK for mowing right? well...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by geogunn, Aug 7, 2005.

1. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

well, what about other work?

I got a call and there had been a couple trees fall from the woods into one of my little ole lady customer's yards.

so she asked me to come clear them. the agreement was to cut them up and get them out of the yard and back into the woods.

from tailgate to tailgate, I did just that. it was light chain saw work and a down hill pull for the refuse to the woods.

I was there for 30 minutes and I charged 30 bucks.

so is the buck a minute thinking still good in this case?

GEO

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

no, it is not

3. r_snowrider

r_snowrider LawnSite Member

Do you think he charged to much, or too little Bobby?

4. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

Bobby Geo is going to be tick off when he finds out you hacked his user name.

JK Geo I do wonder though. LOL

Honestly? How long do you have in it including travel time? That price wouldn't meet my minimum as a stand alone service. Now if I were there already and it was a good regular customer OK. Other wise I have to say no. My construction clean-up work averages about 120 an hour and it more closely matches yard clean up work than mowing.

5. bobbygedd

from NJ

the buck a minute target works when u leave your house, and do many jobs throughout the day. in geo's case, he went out worked 30 minutes, and came home. if he's running a legit business, he lost money today. i wouldn't put the key in the ignition for $30.

6. r_snowrider

My cleanup/haul rates are pretty close to leadarrows. I usually will include my dump fees with that rate, because it usually only costs me 6 to dump. And one thing I've learned is if you can make friends with the dump people, get to know their names, make some brief small talk, they will usually give you a sweet deal. If they are not too strict there.

7. Olylawnboy

Olylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Oly Wa

Gee, I must be a $#&b as I would do that for free for one of my "little ole ladies" the next time I'm there. Sheesh, even if I had to make a extra trip!
    They are, you know, "little ole ladies"', and they have paid us well over the years right?..... "Just Do IT" ! :)

8. r_snowrider

I would have to agree somewhat with the last statement if she is a regular, maybe not free, but a pretty good deal. Problem is if you start doing things for free, they start expecting it more often. But I think it's a good business practice to give your regulars a discount sometimes, as a way to show appreciation for there loyal business.

9. bobbygedd

from NJ

"free" ? what is this word?

10. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

but you go out and mow yards for less than $30.00......
    and that's with a few thousand dollars worth of mowers, weed eaters, etc....

he only had to use a few hundered dollar chainsaw....

I do think however that you charged too little geo...
    you should have a minimum of a $50.00 service call for something like that.