A bucketload of questions

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by JNLawns, May 30, 2006.

1. JNLawns

JNLawns LawnSite Member

Hi All:

First, let me say thanks for all your insight and shared experiences. I'm currently in the process of starting a business in time for fall clean-up and winter plowing. My game plan is to advertise for the fall and cross sell those customers snow removal contracts (then on to seasonal maintenenance for the spring/summer). I have a friend in the business who said he gets more new accounts by picking up plow jobs (from customers of companies that don't offer winter services) than referrals. I hope to plan my equipment purchases around how many customers I bring on. Am I being too optimistic as to how many accounts I can gather this way?

I have been conducting loads of research in preparation for the start of business and have created loads of questions:

1.) How do I handle work that I would need to sub out; i.e., pesticide (initially), tree work, etc.?

2.) Should all my customers be contracted vs per service payees?

3.) What should and should not be included in full service maintenence contracts?

4.) How do I find out about HOA's and other organizations invitations to bid?

5.) I will have a full time employee who's currently working for another landscaper to learn the business (my brother). What is the max customer base I/we can handle, maintaining optimum service and time management, etc?

6.) In my area, a half acre lawn with little trimming gets serviced for about $40. How would I turn that average into a formula to help me estimate and bid on jobs? Do I measure lawns, guesstimate, or what?

7.) Are there any formulas to help me bid on spring and fall clean-ups?

I'm sure more questions will follow. Thanks in advance.

Also, anyone in CT looking to sell equipment, let me know.