A/C in a skid steer

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by mbella, Dec 22, 2004.

1. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

Is there any reason that I should NOT want a skid steer to have A/C?

2. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

Cause we are in the green industry and we are here to sweat !

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Extra 8k for cab with ac, and who would want to get out in the heat to do any work?
    Now if you know you will never leave the cab of the skid till you get in the cab of your truck it would probably be worth the extra jack.

Mac

4. mbella

That's nice. How many 12 hour days have you spent rockhounding in the summer? The heat is the least of my concerns. The dust is the primary concern. I have been looking at skidsteers and I have narrowed it down to one. I think I want the A/C, for the sole reason of being able to keep the door on when rockhounding. What do you guys think?

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Think its your money get what you want.

Mac

6. mbella

Mac, thanks for the response. I am already getting the cab (snow) and a few other options. The options that I want are part of a package that includes A/C. If I get the package it is going to a few hundred dollars more than if I added the options individually. I really just wanted to know if there are any concerns, with respect to performance, with having A/C. Do any of you guys do a lot of rockhounding with a skid steer that has A/C?

7. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

No real performance difference. With the way they route the serp belts, the A/C system doesnt bog the engine at all. In Pa, I'll think you'll find the A/C system great for filtering out some of the dust... depending on the machine, not all have filters to clean the air entering the cab. Research this with your dealer a lil more and ask to demo a like machine. Might be kinda hard to find an A/C machine up north tho. As far as the A/C system itself, they vary, but all in all... yur sitting in a glass house. Depending on the ambient temp and humidity, they work OK... great? Nope. And also look at how many A/C machines they see at yur dealer in Pa! Not many I'll bet! So if it goes tits up, dont get mad if they dont have a clue!

8. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

Pardon my ignorance but what does rockhounding mean?

9. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

I was being wise and I have spent plenty of time in a Bobcat with a Harley Rake, RotaDarion and a Rockhound. DUSTY !!!

If you spend that much time in one doing that, it's totally worth it.

10. mbella

xcopterdoc, thanks for the imput.