1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

A Catch Phrase

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by SpringValley, Oct 19, 2000.

1. SpringValley

SpringValley LawnSite Member

We are going to set up a roadside display. Our business name is Spring Valley Landscape & Fence Co. We are a full service landscape business and we are the Authorized Independent Dealer for Country Estate vinyl fence, decks, and railings. To keep our sign from getting too busy we wanted to add a catch phrase like Nike's "Just Do It" or Deere's "Nothing Runs Like a Deere", something for people to relate us to. We were thinking along the lines of "Designing and Building for Outdoor Living". How does that sound? Do you think the public will "get it"? Let me know what you think.

2. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

How about: -------- Expect The Best --------
  3. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

The text sounds nice. Because I don't know the size of the sign, or the speed limit and # of lanes of the roadway where the sign will be posted, it's hard to say it that's 'too busy'. It's been awhile since I studied such things, but a billboard at highway speeds has something like 1.2 seconds to communicate it's message.

But on the surface, your message sounds pretty clean and understandable.
  4. SpringValley

SpringValley LawnSite Member

Stonehenge, Our display's intent is to get people to stop and walk through it. The sign will be 6' x 8' (a section of vinyl privacy fence) and the remaining display will be more of the vinyl fencing. There is a nice paved drive with a turnaround and a turn lane on the 2 lane state hwy where this is located. It is a great locale. The text for our catch phrase will be about 4-6" tall and it is our intent that the people walking through the display will see it the most.

So, do any of you have a slogan or catch phrase that you use? If so, has any of your customers made a comment on it?

I'm curious. Thanks, Matt
  5. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

You may be a better judge than me regarding the signage, as I can't see your exact setup. However, I'll suggest this: measure the size of the letters and numbers on a speed limit sign. They're huge! Make the lettering as big as you can (and NO calligraphy or the like - too hard to read).

As for the slogan, you'll see what mine is below. I haven't received feedback on it, but I don't know if I would. I wanted to convey the same kinds of things that are conveyed using 'Stonehenge'. And I've gotten lots of positive feedback on the company name. Calls from yellow pages ad where people said to me - 'saw the ad, cool name, sounded interesting, gave a call'.

But I'll be honest - I thought long and hard about using a slogan - You want to give potential customers information or at least generate some sort of feeling about your company, but I also believe the work should speak for itself. And I also think it can be hazardous - if you say 'service is our business' or something like that, you'd better smoke everyone at that, or it'll sound hollow. Make sure everyone on your staff knows what it is, why it's important, and how to live it.

I had a great marketing guy ask me 'What's important for people to know about your company?' Simple question, but the answer, coupled with a good thesaurus, should yield a slogan.

Good luck!