A Challenge? Who Likes Toros :)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tonyr, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

1/2 ACRE , old house, trees, rubbish pick up, had to mow and trim, here is a shot of the back which is the bulk...

It took 2 hours approx, 2 cuts plus rough trim.

I charged $115....

What would you charge?

Yes, long grass like here is an everyday thing, over here the market thinks ride on is small slasher, not a riding mower, therefor if you want to be in the game of ride ons here be prepared to do the extremes....btw, I mowed this a year ago so I knew about debris.

2004_0422image00work0003.jpg

2. Tonyr

Now before anyone says I'm wrecking my mower doing jobs like this you are wrong, this machine did not struggle at all, never clogged, didn't miss a beat. Long grass is no harder on the mower than mulching heavy bermuda.

This is the extreme job example, but I don't mind them...

2004_0422image00work0004.jpg

3. grillonz

grillonz LawnSite Member

Looks like a couple of empty sections that I once had to mow. Same result. Nice finish for such an overgrown section. Looks like some pics of the extreme in NZ are in order.
    Happy mowing
    James

4. Tonyr

Yeah James, Bring em on, I love "action pics!"

5. grillonz

grillonz LawnSite Member

This is what happens when a machineary dealer says their mower is built for the overgrown. Grass approx 2 ft high and cut in the pouring rain. The rest of the section needed a tractor slasher ha ha.
    Mower a Grillo Bee Fly Diesel (21Hp) with 43" flail mower.
    Dealer "The picture doesn't do it justice"

slasher.jpg

6. Tonyr

Nice pic James,

Mowing in the dry is easy, the cut today was dry.

Mowing in the wet, no thanks, don't want to play now! LOL!

Sure this new machine can cut in the wet, it's when it's gets wet and is very thick that tests them out, in your pic this toro could do it, maybe half cuts though to get the side discharging spraying and no clumps, then an over the top quick cut to tidy....

But thick wet long grass is a killer for mowers, and I'm not going to be silly enough and try to make a buck with this mower cutting that type of grass, your humidity is more there to so the stuff stays wetter longer, what fun!, NOT!

Thanks again James, send more, show off your gear!

have a good one mate!

7. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

I would have been scared stiff attempting to chop down that cane field with my Exmark Z HP BUT your TORO Z 580 with its adjustable Turbo Force deck and MASSIVE Spindles seem to have taken the job in stride. How long did it take you the first time you cut this property? Did you walk it first searching for surprises? I think you are a little light on your pricing but I do not know what the traffic would tolerate in your neck of the woods.

BobR

8. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

Nice job. I think you did it too cheap, I would have charged double even if I thought I could do it in 2 hours.

9. soccerlawn

soccerlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Sweet pics and mower Tonyr, I have a toro also.

10. Tonyr

Thanks guys!

The job took 2 hours including the trimming.

The price was a bit low for the time, but I struggled to get this much, and the new owners want it properly maintained so I softened to get it. I first cut this a year ago with a 48'' Walker, wasn't this bad but though took a long time came up great.

So I had the advantage of knowing the terrain, just the bongs, trash, graffiti cans etc.....I just did a quick clean up after cut 1, then a quick pass over, and then the pic.

I originally charged with the walker $77 to mow, just got it, just.

The next cut that ultra low price was beaten...go figure..

Work is very very tight and rediculously competitive here now, beer money bill is everywhere, want to meet these lease payments I need to cash in on the effeciency of this new red rig to give me the edge to survive until works picks up again.

Without a word of a lie, this new turbo force deck made this cut easy, not one clump! I was running toro recycle blades and baffle fully open.

Thanks for the comments guys!

btw, I'm quite happy with the new red rig:)