A challenging situation

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Victor, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

A lady called me Tuesday afternoon to tell me that she was the neighbor of one of my customers and that she was interested in having me come out to give an estimate for her lawn. Like we arranged in our phone conversation, I went out to her property that evening and met with her and her husband. After I introduced myself to the two of them, I asked them if they'd like to walk the lawn with them. While we were walking around their property, I checked the normal things you'd check when you're walking a potential customer's property. When I checked for lawn-damaging insects, I saw some chinches. There was about 1 1/2" of thatch, so it didn't surprise me to find chinches there. To be thorough, I checked other places in the lawn for chinches and found them pretty much everywhere I looked. When I asked the husband about the history of his lawn, he told me that he had applied Grubex a month ago and that he had followed that application up with an application of Scotts fertilizer with "Summerguard" a week ago. :dizzy:

I'm not familiar with the active ingredients of those two homeowner products, but was wondering if anyone here was? Since it's impossible to know how much of each product he actually applied to his lawn, I'm nervous about trying to sell this guy a rescue treatment. The chinches haven't done much damage at all to that lawn yet and I'd like to wipe them out, before they have a chance to do so.

What would any of you recommend that I do in this situation? Would a rescue treatment of Dylox, or Arena be my best bet? I'm not a fan of having to hang around until a Dylox application is watered in, but my time is money. If Dylox is what I end up having to use, I'm definitely going to be compensated for my time. Any advice on what you would recommend I do, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

2. Frank Fescue

Frank Fescue LawnSite Senior Member

I thought dylox was only used for subsurface feeding insects. I think Arena works on both surface and sub surface insects. I've always used talstar for chinch's.

Either way I'd charge for what you do, I dont guarentee anything the home owner claims to have done in the past.

3. DSTC

DSTC LawnSite Member

We use Sevin SL on Chinch bugs. Bifenthrin (Talstar) works good too. I like to rotate the two based on the extension services reco. They say chinch have started to show some pyrethroid resistance.

I also prefer liquid applications to granules.

Either way, I would treat them asap before you have serious problems.

here is a link to a GA dept of ag. site that you can look up products and find the AI in them like the ones you asked about.

http://agr.georgia.gov/00/article/0,2086,38902732_0_41285569,00.htm

Grubex seems to have Imidacloprid in it as it's AI. That's Merit. Merit must be applied at or before egg hatch to get any real results on chinch bugs ( I doubt this happened, and I wouldn't even care to try it :) )

Summerguard seems to have Bifenthrin in it(Talstar). This stuff will kill them, but my bet is that if this guy has been using alot of it he may have created some resistance.

Based on what he put out (and like you said no way to tell how much or little he used), I would use Sevin on em. Just read your labels and your extension services recommendation on it and you should be fine.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Find out how much he used on his lawn, and compare it to the label. Also, find out if this stuff has been watered in properly. You might have to give this one a while.