A Change in Plans

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mtdman, Jul 25, 2003.

1. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Anyone ever have a customer change the yard somehow, with landscaping, etc, that affects your ability to mow?

I have a good customer that just took her nice big 5 foot wide passage way from the front to the back and landscaped it down to about 2 feet. No way I can get into her back yard with my mowers now. I approached her on it, and she asked why I can't mow the back with a push mower, 21 incher. She has about 4000 square feet back there. It doesn't take long to mow with a big mower, but no way am I pushing a 21 inch mower through the back, and I told her. I would have never taken the job if those conditions existed from the beginning, I can't be expected to mow that way no, can I?

She said she'd speak with her husband and make a decision. I am kinda bummed because I'm going to lose her as a customer, but also I'm mad. I don't expect her to consult me before landscaping, but come awhn, use some common sense!

:mad:

2. GLAN

GLAN Banned

I feel for ya.

Charge more for the 21" cut in the back

Or do have some machine in the area of a 36"? can stradle the lawn and bed to get into the back

3. sprout

sprout LawnSite Member

:D Well--- for what its worth to you. I once had a customer who brought her mother to live with her. I had worked the property for about a year. One day I unloaded, cut the front, went to open the gate to the back yard. As the gate opened I stopped dead. The mother had relandscaped the back yard in such a way that I could't get even a 21 incher into the yard.
    When I told the customer, she said, "can't you pick up the mower and walk it back there?" No I can't----- find yourself another man.

4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I don't even want to THINK about pushing a 21inch mower back there. I'd be all day. It's not worth it to me, and if she had asked me to push from the beginning I would have told her 'no'.

I have a 48 and a 52 inch wb. No 33 or 36, and I don't see justifying the purchase just for her.

:dizzy:

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

if you can, just tip back on the WB mowers for only the back wheels touch and wheel it back there..unless there is something major blocking it

6. GLAN

GLAN Banned

tiedeman has a good idea and with that you maybe able to stradle the bed and lawn.

Trying to think if that happened to me over the years.

What would bother me most is the lack of consideration to talk to me about what they intended. Heaven help them if they hired another company for the landscaping.

Well, I have dropped customers for just about any reason. So I would drop them, now that they made the work impossible to do, the way we do it.

7. Live4Mowin'

Live4Mowin' LawnSite Member

Dont most fenced in yards have two ways to enter?

8. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Damn, the only thing I ran into is a customer that likes to plant tiny plants all over the place. Put a 8" diamater of mulch around em, and tell me to keep the grass out of it.
    :confused:

9. Lawn Tek

Lawn Tek LawnSite Senior Member
    from u s a

I thought they were supposed to change them weekly.

Try a hill hard as h..l to mow , add a sprinkler system running too much , then too make it easy for the mower guy add 15 landscape lights right where you have to try to turn arround !

10. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

We have a customer who just had a new deck put up and before they started they asked how much room we needed so we could continue to use our big mower in the back yard. After getting up off the grass then decided on the best way to do it. We ended up making the deck the size they wanted by removing a slow growing cedar tree to allow us in.