A cheap blade sharping system?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Willofalltrades, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

2. Willofalltrades

3. grassnazi1

grassnazi1 LawnSite Member

just saw this myself and would love to hear a little user feedback on it from anyone! Might just have to bite the bullet and be the first to blow 70 bucks!

4. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

$70 for a piece of sheet metal and a adjustable guide is hardly what I would call cheap. You still need to buy a grinder anyway. Save your $70 and put it towards a blade grinder.

5. Willofalltrades

$70 for this fabricated bracket and $110 for a 2 hp bench grinder. Thats a $180 blade sharpener. Compared to the $300 one at www.northerntool.com

In my thread "true cost to own my LCO" It was stated that I should sharpen my own blades to save money... Well here I can do it for cheap and It has to be a better job than a angle grinder. Were only talken 10-20 blades a week so i don't know If I can really justify an expensive one.

6. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I've been using my bench grinder without a guide ever since I started and it works fine for me.

7. 2menandamower

2menandamower LawnSite Member

Me too Lawnpro!!!!!!!

8. Willofalltrades

Just hold it on a angle, Is there some kind of guide? Blades razer sharp? How well does it stack up to a angle grinder.

Also, would you say the Lower the RPM of the bench grinder the better? I saw a 2hp bench grinder running at like 1750 (?) rpm I believe. A 1/2 hp bench grinder was running 3500 (?) rpm and up. Thats a big difference.

9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Bigger motors don't need to turn as many rpms cause you run larger cutting wheels.

10. Willofalltrades

Yea, but does this translate to a lower temp on the blades surface because of less friction (which makes the blade stronger and more resistent to dull?). With a dad in tool and die I should know this stuff but he's sleeping, guess I'll ask you people.