a cheap truck to start with?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by edgeman2003, Apr 13, 2008.

1. edgeman2003

edgeman2003 LawnSite Member
    from md

I was thinking about a ford ranger or one of the mazda pickups. Something cheap but able to pull a 6x10 trailer with a 61'' deck turf tiger(1350lbs), 21''wb, trimmer and blower? Since I have a new turf tiger, nothing thats cost a lot. Looking to pay cash also, cant afford any monthly payments.

2. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

you asking if thats ok or what? look in the for sale section. or check craigslist in your area. rangers r tough

3. edgeman2003

from md

yeah, is the ranger a good truck. If I cant find a cheap ranger, what else can I get?

4. edgeman2003

from md

cheap one that will last a season or two till I can go full time

5. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

o ya a ranger will tow around a Ztr all day. just keep your tounge weight down. I am a ford guy so ranger's would be the way to go but if you can get a cheap 150 i would get that or even a 250 or 350

6. edgeman2003

from md

so, it can be 2x4 or 4x4, does that even matter ?

7. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I'd get a full size p/u. The mileage isn't going to be any worse since you'll have more power.

I'm keeping my eyes open for a decent older Chevy. Kinda like a fixer upper. Parts are cheap and a small block Chevy will run forever.

8. edgeman2003

from md

you mean like 80's or 90's? f-150?

9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

You want something that is emissions exempt. Needs to be 20 years old. That way your not dealing with the emissions crap. At least thats my plan.

10. edgeman2003

from md

whatwould the cost be on something around that age?