A Christmas story...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bastalker, Dec 21, 2003.

1. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

I have a story for you guys......

My dad died when I was about 4.....Never knew him.

My mother took me to Texas just shortly after that. Eventually she married. I was 6 years old. She distanced herself from my dads side of the family, but the man she married was awsome. He was my dad.....

Growing up, I never heard about my dad, or his side of the family....until I met my wife..... I was 21. I introduced my wife to the states shortly there after, bringing her from Scotland to New England. We settled here after I got out of the Navy in 88. Worked in a plant welding. You ever get tired of your surroundings after awhile? 9-5 job, not really goin anywhere. My wife was always prying about my dads side of the family. I shrugged it off. For 30 years I hadn't heard anything from my side of the family, why start now. Always the topic of conversation. I was just always to busy to pursue it.

My wife an I got a hair, and decided to move down to Texas in 94 an be close to mom an dad.....Not a good move!! I grew up in Texas yes, but after being gone for 14 years, things were definately not the same...San Antonio was twice the size, and my 2 kids just were not adjusting. I did have a great job though. Lived in a nice house close to my parents. We contiplated moving back to Ct. 3 years later for the sake of the kids...... I called my old job I had in NE, and they said sure we'll hire you back. We started planning the move.
    It was a normal day at the job. Hot as hell. It was June though, and June in Texas was the start of the 95 deg days. I was welding on a vessel when I got the call......Went to the phone, said hello, and the voice on the other end was enough to raise the hair on the back of my neck! It was a young voice asking if I was Mark. "Yes this is him, who is this?" Well you might not know me, but I am your cousin....Your dad is my uncle...Then sobbing on the other end.......Do you know how long we have been looking for you??

I was then introduced to my dads sister..My aunt, who I had never met. Yes I met her, but between 1 an 3 yrs old, you really dont remember much. She wanted to finance our move back to Ct. We were moving back anyway, so we will see you in a couple of weeks. Dont worry we have everything under control. A check arrived in the mail a week later for $4000.00.

We had the reunion a month later when we had settled in to our new house. Its amazing how many relatives I never knew I had. aunts, uncles, cousins, an my grandmother. She was 90 years old, and the one thing she wanted in life, I found out later, was to meet her only sons son one more time. I was in awe of this whole reuniting thing. It had been 35 years since they had laid eyes on me, and I felt like I had known them all along...My wife was beaming!

The pictures started coming out..All of them had them. All at once the very first picture I had ever seen of my dad was handed to me. It was a picture of him and my mom an me. He was holding me in his arms. I was 2. Now all of a sudden this big tough guy is trying everything to hold back tears. The next picture I was handed was my dad holding me in front of his truck. A 57 chevy......with the best landscaping emblem on the side......
    After 35 years I found out my dad was a landscaper........

I dont think I can instill any more passion in my buisness than I do now, and my dads up there showing me every step of the way!!

Everyone have a heart felt Christmas, an a great New Year.........God Bless!!!

2. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

That's a beautiful story, god bless you & your great family, and
    be sure to hug that awesome wife of yours.:)

3. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

Nice story!!:D

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

great story and god bless

5. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

thanks for sharing, god bless

6. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

nice story god bless

7. thill

thill LawnSite Member

bastalker,

Thanks for sharing. How wonderful for you to now have two big families.

8. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

They say great family reunions make great Christmas stories!! Wow Bastalker what a surprise after that many years!!!
    Thanks for sharing this with us and good luck enjoying and sharing Christmas with your "new" family
    PC
    [​IMG]

9. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

What a gift! Congrats!

10. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

Your Dad was a landscaper....how sweet is that! Nothing is more important than family. When you are young it is not always easy to realize this. I'm glad you got back to your roots, reunited with your family, and learned more about your Dad. What a great Christmas story....