A contract question

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by mtdman, Jan 20, 2004.

1. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

When writing service agreements and or contracts, do you have to include all specifics of the contract and terms on one sheet of paper? What I'm asking is this. In the past, I've always handed out a sheet of paper to my clients with Terms and Guidelines of service on them. They are pretty much refined, and what I would include in a contract. Can I create a contract one one piece of paper for the customer to sign, and attach the terms with it, and make the whole thing binding? I was thinking about making the contract a carbonless document so that the customer got a copy and so did I. I just don't think it would be worth the money to have a carbonless copy of the terms. I thought about making the signature sheet carbonless, and attach the terms as a regular sheet.

What do you all think?

2. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I just finished re-writing my residential service agreements for 2004. My goal was to fit all terms and conditions of all services that I routinely offer onto a single 8.5 X 11 sheet of paper. I managed to get it done, but I had to use 7 point font.

Next step is to send it to the printers to get a two part carbon printing done.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

3. mtdman

I was thinking about taking mine to Kinkos and having them done carbonless. I had some bid sheets made up like that before and they turned out great. I've got a lot of older folks, don't know that they could read smaller font. The stuff I put in there I really want them to read, too.

4. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

Yes. Mine are carbonless too. Top copy gets written on and the yellow copy, underneath, is a copy. I pay Minutemand Press $43.00 and they give me 200 copies. This will be version 4.

How much are you paying Kinkos?

5. mtdman

I don't remember how much we paid, it was a while ago I had them done.

Anyone know if it's legal to add on terms like that, or does it all have to be on 1 document?

:D

6. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

MTD,

You can definitely have more than one page to a contract. But just incase you ever end up in small claims court, I think I'd have them initial a copy of the additional pages.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

7. mtdman

Thanks DFW

:D

8. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

there can be print on the back of the carbonless forms, so you could put your terms and conditions there.
    just make sure you add something to the effect of
    "By signing this agreement, I have read and understand the terms and conditions on the reverse side, and accept them along with the estimate"

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Great advise and i just want to add that if you would end up in court the law is against thhe person that wrote the contract. Try to avoid words like "may, could," those words should be Will. In the case of none payment we may stop mowing or failure to pay could result in. Judje will tell you its your contract and you should have been more definate in your wording. BEEN THERE.

Mac