1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

A Country Manor retaining wall

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by nac, Oct 3, 2004.

1. nac

nac LawnSite Member

Here are some pics. of a wall I am doing made out of Country Manor 6" and 3" random. Tell me what you guys think. Also I have noticed when working with Country Manor there are a lot of block which are not the same size in height, and also the 6" and 3" are not the same depth so you can not make a two sided wall. Also once you use a random pattern with 3" and 6" the pins are useless and all the block have to be glued to each other.

2. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Man I really like the way that looks. The only thing we ever see around here is the cheap stuff you can buy at Home Depot or Lowes.
  3. nac

nac LawnSite Member

4. midtnstone

midtnstone LawnSite Member
    from mid tn

looks good i like the way it looks hey where are you buying your glue and how much does it cost the stuff i am buying now is about $36.00 for a case of 12 would like to cut the cost of this stuff some the name of what i use is PL landscape block adhesive it works good just a little high imo
  5. nac

nac LawnSite Member

Thank you. As far as glue goes I use pl (buy it Home Depot) also only if forget to order it when I order the block from the supply yard. Normally I use keystone glue about 2 dollars and change a tube. I have used lexal it is very expensive and until it set the blocks like to slide around. What I used on the wall in the pictures is Ener-bond it is a expanding foam glue that is good for many applications even masonry. I Think it about 8 dollars a can but you need a applicator gun which is about 80 dollars, but for one can you have the same output of about 20 tubes of glue.
  6. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

I have found many Anchor products vary in Hieght. I think it has to do with how they are manufactured or pressed in there forms. If I want that look Ill try to turn them to techo or camebridge, nothing goes together better then unilocks tho.

7. midtnstone

midtnstone LawnSite Member
    from mid tn

thanys for the info
  8. neighborguy

neighborguy LawnSite Member

I have used Keystone Century Wall and hated it. It gave a better look than the standard Keystone you just have to be conscious about the vertical joints not lining up. The problems we had were due to the manufacturing. The back aof the block was 1/8" thicker than the front. Anyone who has done any wall knows what happened. We had 8' long by 4' high done, gridded, and back filled before it looked goofy. I was digging for another wall in the back yard and it just didn't look right. One of my guys checked it for level and the front was 1/2" low. We started to check the block and there was a consistant height difference. Then we checked everything else. The 18" wide block were 8" thick on left side but only 7 3/4" one right. Manufacturer sent out some shims (plastic) and a case of soda. Thanks for the help.
  9. activelandscaping

activelandscaping LawnSite Member

I don't mean to bring any negative vib's to the thread here, but what are you using for slope stabilization? It may just be the pics but only about 2" or so behind the wall ( fence area ) appears to be excavated. No concerns with loading?

10. nac

nac LawnSite Member

About 2 feet is excavated it is fill with 3/4 clean stone all the way up. The wall will only be about 2' high max. this is still rough graded still have to finish grading than add 6" qp and 4" asphalt.