A couple Bobcat S185 questions

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by dons, Aug 9, 2007.

1. dons

dons LawnSite Member

My hand & foot controlled 05' S185 w/300 hrs has a problem disconnecting out of the float mode. Seems to be with the linkage. I took the side cover off and sprayed everything I could get at with Break-Free a few days ago and finally got it to release.

After some grade work today it locked up again and had a heck of a time getting it to release. Is this a common problem for this machine?

Next question; Is there anyway to increase the machines lifting ability? It's perfectly suited size wise for the work we're doing and with the McLaren wheels & tracks it's very stable. Just wish it could lift a little more for moving pallets of pavers around after they've been delivered. Seems to breakout 500 pounds under it's rating if my math is right.

Thanks for any input

2. dons

dons LawnSite Member

Thinking more about this, the guy I bought it from is in paving business and only ran a cold planer with it, he sold it to buy an S300 for better performance. That's what he told me anyway.

I did have to replace the high pressure coupler (has the high flow option) because of a leak. Could overworking with a planer somehow effect the lift system?

3. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Is it going over relief when you try to lift heavy? If so then you could have BC check the relief setting and you would know. I don't see it likely that running a cold planer would cause your problems lifting. If there is a problem it is likely in the lift cylinder valving. If your within what you believe to be 500 pounds of your max lift ability I would bet the machine is running fine. It just is not as much as you may like.

4. dons

dons LawnSite Member

Thanks Ksss, I think you're right that all is good and I'm trying to push it a little too far. Just wish it could lift a few more pounds like my 317 could.

5. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

My 2nd machine, a T-190, which is essentially a S-185 with tracks, had a sticky pedal. I had to stomp it hard to make it float, and then it would pop out at inopportune times if I didn't hold a lot of weight on the pedal. It wouldn't ease up or down, either... always had to use a lot of force and it was tricky to operate smoothly. (And my knee hurt all the time!)

According to my dealer / mechanic: The spool valves sometimes get a little sideways in their holes. When this happens, you will *probably* have to have the valve(s) rebuilt. This takes a few hours to get at them and a few bucks for parts. I think I got out of it for around five hundred bucks for the lift valve. When they were done, it was like a new machine.

If you put this off, the spool can wear out it's little home in the valve body and then you have to replace the whole enchilada. I would assume that is more expensive. Also, if it is badly tilted in there, that may be contributing to your lack of lifting power, as some fluid may be sneaking by the spool in the valve.

In your case, maybe the dealer can warranty it as the machine only has 300 hours? Good luck with it.

6. SiteSolutions

Let us know what happens!

7. SiteSolutions

bump bump bump

8. TXTom

TXTom LawnSite Member

My S185 with counterweight kit and foam filled tires can lift right at 2000lbs. This allows me to move around wet pallets of sod. I can basically lift them 6-12"s off the ground, then I have to carefully drive them around. If I stop to quickly the machine will tip forward. I don't know what a load of pavers weighs???

Later-

9. dons

dons LawnSite Member

Thank you for the help, Site. Really appreciate it. I haven't done anything to solve the problem yet. I'm hoping it's just the linkage rusting up from lack of use. I'm a very low hour user and considering the guy I bought it from was in paving I wouldn't think he even used the float.

10. dons

dons LawnSite Member

TX, put me in the novice category when it comes to these machines, but count me in as an enthusiast. If my math is correct the pavers weight about 3100 pounds per pallet and the 185 should be able to lift 3600. I'm not talking about unloading, just moving around at grade level. I can say my former JD 317 could do it and the BC 185 can't.