A Couple of 1st Yr Projects

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by RusticMeadows, Mar 27, 2006.

1. RusticMeadows

RusticMeadows LawnSite Member

Thought I'd share a couple of our first year projects. We're heading into our second year of business. We're still not full timers, but are working towards it. However, we're a bit slow this spring, but we're putting out some flyers this weekend. Hopefully, they'll generate a little work.

willenbring 1.JPG

willenbring 2.jpg

willenbring 3.jpg

Hanson 1.jpg

Hanson 2.jpg

2. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

With all due respect Rustic ... the steps look terrible. You should have cut them in..those gaps are unacceptable IMO.

Why do you put the edge restraint right to the top of the pavers.

There may be a couple other structural things that don't look right to me.

Not trying to discourage you ...keep striving to improve.

3. RusticMeadows

Actually, I agree with you on the gaps in the steps. We'll be switching to using solid block versus the angled block for stairs in the future. Those gaps will be filled in this spring. It was a project we were working on last fall and were not able to complete everything. We have some touchup work to do this spring.

We have the edge restraint about a quarter inch lower than the top of the pavers. How far down do you normally hold the restraint down from the top of the paver?

4. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp LawnSite Member

Usually about 3/4" - 1" so that you cant see it. Other than the steps the bricking looks nice and level/straight. Good job no the less for only being your first year.

Ken

5. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Actually if you look at the third picture you can see so many deficiencies that I myself would not have paid for that job.

Looks like the last row of pavers are sloping back towards the patio on quite a slope.... there is going to be major washout along all of those steps... i'd give that job no more than a year before it begins to fail.

6. RusticMeadows

Kris,

I appreciate your comments. However, remember that this project is not 100% completed. The pavers you are speaking of, those slanting back, will be back-cut to lay down evenly on the back of the retaining wall block.

I would appreciate your guidance of the appropriate way to complete the step. Again, the gaps will be filled with cut pavers. Each step is slightly pitched forward to drain towards the stairway bottom.

We had three 4-6" rainfalls after the stairs were completed and they showed no signs of movement.

7. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a question. How many courses of retaining wall are buried in the hill for the raised patio???

8. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Those steps look badd!

I would not of used those tiny blocks to hold up that patio. Those tiny blocks are holding up alot of weight.

Honestly the average homeowner would proably think that jobs looks great. I just would of done things alot differently.

9. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

Rustic to answer your question about the edge restraint......You typically lay your pavers and then remove the sand down to the gravel base on the edges. If you have the right amount of sand you should only be removing about 1 inch of sand before you hit your gravel base. You then spike yor edge restraint down directly on the gravel using 3/8" NON-galvanized spikes 10" long. Your restraint will only grab the pavers by a small amount.

You should possibly try to attend some classes on pavers and block to learn a bit more about them before you go out and try to sell that type of work full time. If you don't attempt to get out there and learn a bit more I'm afraid you won't be around the industry too long. No offense but the other comments you have heard here are true.

10. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Not to beat a dead horse, but......................:hammerhead:
    Seriously, If that was your first project I would say it was a good attempt, but hopefully you learned what not to do. The people on here are extremely knowledgeable and are only offering constructive critisism at this point. Sadly, I do not believe you left that job with the intention of going back. So, I suggest you learn from the people here and use that knowledge in the field.:dancing:
    P.S. I really like the design of the other 2. With the exception of the edge restraint. You CAN'T control the height of the restraint! It is what it is. It must be installed directly on the aggregate base. This will give you about 3/4"-1" reveal.

Chris