1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

A couple of emark questions/problems

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by wanabe, Jan 6, 2004.

1. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

Has anyone come up with a solution for keeping the gauge wheels on a exmark? The company I work for bought 3 new ones last year(2 60's, 1 72) and we can not keep the gauge wheels on. They always fly off, then we try to hunt down the bushing, bolt ect. Another problem we had is everyone banging up the fold down deflector. Anyone know why e-mark did not use shere pins for this? I think it would of saved ours. How many hours do you guys put on a year? We put over 500 on all three this year.
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Thanks for the post.

The rollers will come loose every now and then but a simple check of the mounting hardware when you change the blades should help a great deal. Once the rollers have become loose enough to fall off they generally will fall off again. The most common cause for repeat failures is the use of incorrect fasteners. Using a standard flat washer or no washer at all instead of a "spring" disk washer increases the likelihood that the nut/bolt will become loose. Also using a standard jam nut instead of a wizlock will also increase the likelihood the fasteners will become loose. The key is to check them occasionally.

We also see a higher number of incidences if the rollers are set too low. It's not uncommon for the rollers to be set low enough they are in contact with the ground on level or slightly uneven terrain. The rollers should only come in contact with the ground in the event the deck is put in a situation where it could potentially "scalp" the lawn.

I had never thought of using "shear" bolts on the discharge chute. My concern would be how many operators would carry spare bolts on the machine or on the truck along with any tools, if any, required to re-install the chute. I'll bounce it off the engineers and see what they think.

Thanks for the suggestion.

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Also running the deck TOOO LOWW at times will loosen them. I put them on with a inpact gun, just make sure they spin.
  4. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

Thanks for the reply. I also have a question about something else. We run our ExMarks wide open all the time. The problem is when the deck hits a bump and fly’s up bending the belt/pulley shield. Maybe a couple rubber bumpers would solve this? Can you tell me why ExMark went to a rops system? We really like them without, as it is much easier under trees.
  5. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Thanks again for the post. The belt shield thing is something we see from time to time. Generally if the deck is bouncing that hard there are probably a couple if issues that need to be looked at. First would be where the rollers are set. If they are too low they will be making contact with the ground more often and that contact will be more severe. You may want to also show the operators how to float the deck up with the foot lift on those job sites where they know things can get rough. The other thing is to watch them on curbs and make sure that when they are not cutting they lift the deck into the transport position.

The ROPS was added for safety. You sort of mentioned it yourself. Operators are running these things wide open because "time is money". Operators can get in a hurry, make a mistake, take a risk etc. that puts them and the mower in a dangerous situation. The ROPS is just there to help protect the operator in the event he/she makes a poor decision or accidentally puts themselves and the machine in a dangerous situation.

You'd be surprised how little the ROPS really effects mowing under trees. Often trees are trimmed to a height that most people can walk under them with out getting whacked in the face by a branch. In these cases the ROPS should clear with out a problem. In others the ROPS can be folded slightly until you've finished mowing under the tree.