A couple of flyer questions....

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by walker-talker, Jan 22, 2004.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

1) What day of the week is best for the potential client to receive your flyer? My guess would be either Friday or better yet, Saturday.

2) How do you address an unknown name?
    This was my first time and I just used "resident", but for the next round I was thinking of something like .......well, not sure. "potential client"...mmmm "concerned lawn owner"....sounds corny.

Help me out guys
    Thanks
    Matt

2. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Matt,
    I would say Friday right when they get home from work, so around 4-6 pm. This way, they're tired from working all week, and want to relax, not mow their lawns, and you happen to walk up providing that service!

As far as names go, I have always just made flyers applicable to the general public, and not addressed like a letter, but I would make it catchy, like you said, maybe...

Dear Affected Tennant -

or

To my new client -

and then go from there, something to catch them off guard, just to grab their attention.

3. walker-talker

from Midwest

As far as the "unknown address" goes.....I was using "resident" for the mailing label, not a letter or anything. When you get junk mail it always addressed to "resident"....I was trying to come up with something more personal. I created my own mailing list by driving by lawns that I want to target, thus the reason I do not have their name. I will be doing another mailing campaign later, but will have their name from a mailing list that I am going to purchase.

4. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Have you tried the reverse look up on some white pages on the internet. Some you can type in the address, and if it is registered, the name will come up. May be worth a shot to get a few names at least?

I read the post wrong, I didn't realize that you were mailing these out, sorry.

Good luck!

5. walker-talker

from Midwest

I have a couple hundred of these to send out....not worth my time.

6. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Walker-Talker,

Quite often I will see mailings addressed to "Current Occupant."

7. Mac V2.0

Mac V2.0 LawnSite Member
    from Mid OH

Matt, how can it not be worth your time?

8. walker-talker

from Midwest

To type in (on the computer) each address to just get a name. Then you have to type each name on each label. I am sorry, I just don't see having the name on the address label worth the hours it would take to do this. I agree, if the flyer's targeted address with the return address was hand written, people might be more apt to open it. Personally I will open about anything (with my name on it or not) to at least take a look.....except credit card offers, they go directly in the trash.

9. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Walker-Talker

I always used resident if I didn't know there names check postal service. Last year I sent out letters to houses in the newspaper that just transfered and addressed them to Proud New Homeowner and they were sent back to me. Hope this helps

Larry