A couple of planting decisions...

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bdoss123, Aug 6, 2007.

1. bdoss123

bdoss123 LawnSite Member

Hello,

I am trying to figure out some trees, shrubs, and plants of the borders of my property. The house I grew up in was in a very shady area, so plant choices were limited.

I am in NC.

Now I've got plenty of sun on three sides, and partial shade on the back of the lot.

Side 1: The busy road. My lot is about 10 ft above road level and I need to find a fairly quick growing tree to create a screen from noise/visibility of traffic. This is a sunny area, but trees must be kep to 20ft maximum due to overhead lines. I will also have a fence on this border, but it will be 5-6ft due to local codes.

Side 2: This side borders the neighbors yard and also has overhead lines. I will be planting along the neighbors chain link fence, and would like to keep whatever is planted from encroaching to far into their property (and too far into my grass). I am considering all options (trees, shrubs, plants). I don't need anything extremely tall so 10-15ft would be plenty.

Side 3: The back of the lot has several large sycamore trees and a few pines that line another neighbors "ugly" fence. On his side of the property there are some privet trees and other vines that I know will try to encroach back over the fence ( I previously cleared the entire line on my side). I would like to use mainly tall shrubs/plants on this side, in order to provide a quick growing hedge. This side has partial shade and does not border a seeded area of grass.

Side 4: This side is on the "tall" side of my house. It also borders a driveway that is used by the tenant in our efficiency and the neighbor. There are no overhead lines here, so I can plant anything I want. It gets a lot of sun, and there is one existing crepe myrtle that seems to be doing well.

Thanks for any advice you guys can give me. Again, I am shooting for fast growth and coverage on all sides.

Thanks,
    BD

2. ralphieboy

ralphieboy LawnSite Member

without seeing your home ,I would suggest nellie stevens hollies for side 1,growth rate is moderate, height approx.20feet, evergreen,, red berries christmas tree shape, or fragrant tea olive ,side 2 camellies,side 3 loropetalum zhuzhou,or ligustrum,side 4 viburnum,or pittosporum,from your post I get the impression you want screening,all are evergreen most flowering

3. bdoss123

bdoss123 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. I do want screening. How hardy / fast growing are the fragrant tea olives (my father's initial suggestion)?

- BD

4. ralphieboy

ralphieboy LawnSite Member

on average I would say 1 ft a year, they can sustain some frost damage to new growth.checkout www.pendernursery.com they are awholesale nursery that has a free plant guide that gives some info on a large selection of plants.they do not sell retail but the guide may give you some ideas,also some retail nurseries may come to your home to help with selection if you commit to purchase plants from them

5. bdoss123

bdoss123 LawnSite Member

Again thanks for the reply. Anybody else have suggestions?

- BD