1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

A couple of questions from a newbie

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chrisbo, Aug 24, 2002.

1. chrisbo

chrisbo LawnSite Member
    from kansas

First of all, I would like to thank each and every one of you for the wealth of information that you share. It is greatly appreciated!

I am seriously considering entering this field next summer and am currently looking for as much info as possible. Keep in mind that I’m just getting started so please don’t bash my ignorance!

--I’ve read in some post that people are licensed to do lawn service. I understand that you have to be licensed for chemical treatments, but does a license exist for simply mowing, trimming, blowing, etc.?

--How did you guys go about getting any formal training? I am in Kansas and know of no courses or training programs available.

--What’s the low-down on the leasing program that Exmark offers? I looked over the info provided on the web site but I’m still curious as to whether or not anyone does this, and if it’s worth it.

--I live in a town of approximately 13,000. Currently, only one team in this town mows full-time. It’s a 2-man crew. Obviously they can’t get them all, but do you think an intelligently ran advertising campaign could possibly provide me with enough lawns to make a living?

Right now I’m just full of enthusiasm! I see the quality of work in this area and am shocked that people actually accept the services they are provided. Apartment complexes in particular look horrible! I’m just hopeful that my willingness to succeed and gather information will carry me to a happy career.

Thank you all very much for taking the time to respond.

Have a great day.

2. m&m

m&m LawnSite Member

as for the license, i would say you are asking about a business license.....this is required in some/most cities.......its not hard to obtain

as for training, u can take a local course at a community college on different things pertaining to this field.......just look up a college close by and look at what they have to offer in classes that you think you would benefit from
  3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

The Only Ignorance You show Me Is whanting to Mow Lawns Where there's Only One full Time Mowing service. Why Don't you take a Course On Landscape Design In college And hire Them to do The work.

If I Had To Do it Over again That's what I Would do ( From my air conditioned Office ).
    Johnny G. Lawnone Ct.
  4. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

One of the best ways to learn the trade is to work for an existing company and slowly pick up some customers of your own. Being that theirs is only one other company in town, this might be difficult. If there is only one other business, the time is ripe for another LCO. Some customers are probably using them because there is no other competition.