A couple of questions...

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by allstar, Nov 22, 2003.

1. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

I have a new Lazer Z w/Ultravac(13 bushel) which I'm mainly using for leaf removal.For the most part,it's performed wonderfully but won't pick up little sticks and debris on bare ground very well.I have the blade set at 2 1/2 inches.Should I have the anti-blowout baffle installed?What exactly is that and how much does it cost?How difficult is it to install?
    Also,how do you tell when the bag needs to be emptied?Thanks. Jim

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

All star,

Thanks for the post.

The "anti-blow out baffle" extends the "flow control baffle" (baffle that is welded under the front of the deck) to help reduce blow out.

You could purchase an "anti-blow out baffle" and it would probably help however there are some things I'd recommend you check first.

You should check the belt tension and idler for the UltraVac. Far too often the grease zerk on the idler pivot is forgotten and then it doesn't tension the belt properly and causes blow out. You should also make sure the rear screen in the hood of the hopper is clean and allows plenty of air flow to escape the hopper.

I'd also use the solid airfoil blades when working with leaves.

Are you using the QDS or 2/3 bag UltraVac?

There are a couple of ways to tell when the hopper is full. One is to listen. You'll notice a distinct change in the sound of the machine when the hopper is full. You'll also notice a small trail of clippings left in the lawn on the discharge side when the hopper is full.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Thanks

Terry

3. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

Terry,

Why do you recommend the solid-foil blades when bagging?

Not to question you, please don't mis-understand.
    I just have found that I get a lot more reduction by using gators.... actually found that using a high-lift on the discharge side helped the vacuum.

What advantage does a solid-foil have over the notched foils or gator mulchers when bagging?

4. eXmark

Nav,

Great question. We do get a great deal of feedback regarding the gators ability to reduce clipping volume in leaves. Reduced clipping volume can be accomplished a couple of ways. One is by chopping the clippings a little smaller which will allow the clippings to pack closer together in the hopper. This works well on leaves but not always on grass. The other way some blades reduce the clipping volume in the hopper is by not picking quite as much up. Some blades with a little mulching capability will deposit some of the clippings back in the turf where they can be recycled which means you need to empty less often.

The solid air foils claim to fame is an amazingly well manicured cut (unless conditions are wet) as well as more controlled airflow under the deck. A lot of blades will increase blow out when compared to the solid airfoil. This means less dust, less chasing leaves and more bagging leaves. The other advantage again goes back to quality of cut. With the solid airfoil I can take a small amount off the grass blades when I'm cleaning up leaves and get a nicer looking lawn. That way when I'm done cleaning the leaves up, the lawn looks just a little bit nicer, a little cleaner and a little more manicured.

Thanks

Terry

5. allstar

Terry and Navig8r,
    Thanks for taking the time to respond.I'm new to this business,though,and my ability to service this type of equipment is extremely limited.
    I purchased the Exmark w/Ultravac about a month ago.The bagger was installed for me and whatever blades are 'standard' for this machine are on it now.My main focus right now is leaf removal and I have all of the equipment necessary(dump truck,debris loader,etc.) to do this in a pretty big way.So....what do I need to tell the people in the service department to do to my Exmark(27 h.p. & 60 in. deck)?If new/different blades,baffle,adjustments or whatever will make this a more efficient machine for leaf removal I'll invest the money.Thanks.
    Jim

6. eXmark

Allstar,

Here's what I would do. I'd first check the idler arm pivot that tensions the UltraVac drive belt. Next I'd put on a set of P/N 103-1580 solid airfoil blades. I'd also have the dealer check the deck rake. You want to have around 1/4" for pitch in the deck (front of the deck 1/4" lower than the rear when measured at the blade tips) and make sure the screen is clean in the back of hopper. If that doesn't make the mower perform to your satisfaction I would then add the P/N 1-641260 ant-blow out baffle. The baffle is around $35 and does make a dramatic difference in certain conditions.......one of them is leaves.

Thanks

Terry

7. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

I would personally just go ahead and add the baffle anyway...... I bought mine last year, it's like a different machine with it on... as Terry said... it's about $35.... mine took me less than 20 minutes to install........

8. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's what I've been doing so far this year.

I am running the oem mulching blades with the ultravac. The mulchers does about the same amount of reduction as the gators and gives a good cut on the turf. Also with the mulchers being as high lift as they are, it has a tendency to really suck everything up off the ground. Blow out isn't really a problem either with the baffle installed.

If leaves are REALLY bad, i side discharge the area real fast first, then hang the UV blower on the mower and start collecting, first cut usually chops them nice, then the 2nd cut and collection makes for a LOT of reduction. we save a lot of time this way because we aren't stopping, shutting the PTO down, then emptying into bags every few mins.

We tested this one day on about an acre property with moderate coverage of leaves. Last year there were 3 of us on this property with the lazer, my old walker and one person blowing. we left the property with 30 some off bags at the curb and a few hours labor invested. This year running one lazer to chop and one to collect, we had 5 (five, yes five) bags when we left. How's that for reduction? lol

9. allstar

Thank-you very much,Terri.I do have one last question about the AB baffle.Common sense tells me there must be some drawback to putting it on since it only costs around $35.Otherwise,why not put it on for all situations if it makes the machine bag more efficiently?Thanks again. Jim

10. eXmark

Allstar,

There are a couple of reasons why we don't put the baffle on standard.

First not everyone wants or needs the baffle. When we compare our deck to most other decks on the market we already have less blow out than many of them. The anti-blow out baffle reduces the blow out even further. As grasses change with seasonal change so does the need for more or less air flow in the deck. In some conditions we've had reports that the deck works better with out the anti-blow out baffle. Generally these conditions will be in thicker, wetter and lusher cutting conditions.

Thanks

Terry