A couple palms I did this week

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Florida Gardener, Aug 12, 2011.

1. All palms were done with a Silky Gomtaro Handsaw.

Cabbage-18-20' OA-$35

Before
    [​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]

Queen-15' OA-$25

Before
    [​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]

2. A Leaf Above

A Leaf Above LawnSite Member

Well you should be back there next month for a return visit :) ..If this was one of my regular maint customers i woulda took off alot more ..but for a quik trim custy you done ok :)

3. Not really. All fruits and dead fronds were removed. I did everything correctly. You want to hack away palms, go ahead. I do things the right way.

4. A Leaf Above

A Leaf Above LawnSite Member

what i am sayin before you had a fit was that the cabbage palm will have dead fronds again in a month and the queen palms will also have dead fronds in a month again ..so what i said is you will be back next month to make more money ...THATS ALL !!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  5. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Well aren't you up on the U of FL trimming standards!
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Yes sir! Only way I will trim them. I hate the look of a palm with 3 or 4 fronds.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

That is called a HURRICANE CUT and very popular in older working class neighborhoods where landscape isn't a real issue.

A Leaf Above

Actually the speed at which fonds die off depends on the Fertilizer. A Health Queen Palms will have multiply ground sweeper fronds. But it takes time to grow a palm like that. I am not giving a Palm tree lesson here but I will say any fertilizer you apply to a palm takes 6 months to show a response.

8. Agreed. I will also tell you those cabbage palm in the pictures and a few others I do get done ONCE per year. I will also tell you through that whole year they have on average 1-3 dead fronds total.

I like to provide knowledge to my customers and not rip them off. I think most guys like doing the hurricane cuts b/c they can make more off the customer. Now, Queens and Coconuts do need to be cleaned up 2x/year because they fruit that much.

9. CkLandscapingOrlando

CkLandscapingOrlando LawnSite Senior Member

It's actualy just un healthy to trim more from a palm than needed. At he most a 3 and 9 on a cabbage. And they aint getting much more if anything for a hurican. It's just become standard from comercial props where they hope to pull of no dead all year till the next round. Just like crepe's.

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Good Point about trimming palms. The more fronds you take off the high and skinner the tree grows.