A couple threads in one.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by precisionlawn, Apr 17, 2003.

1. precisionlawn

precisionlawn LawnSite Senior Member

First of, I wanted to say that I just picked up the echo pb603. What in the heck would you need more power for? That thing is awesome.

Anyway I have a couple questions:

What would be the best way to remove the dead grass and break up the ground underneath so I can lay down new topsoil, seed and fert? (It is a 3500sf sqaure of flat land)

My 48" scag (newly bought, but used) isnt striping that well, I checked the blades and the were dull as $#%&. They are at my dealer getting sharpened now. Is that the problem?
    I will be soon purchasing the proslide, and I know that will help with the striping, but will newly sharpened blades make my scag stripe better?

:confused: :confused:

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

1st question, a powerrake or dethatcher set shallow should do the trick for you, and for the 2nd question. With sharp blades, you will get a much cleaner smoother top finish, without all the haze of torn blades, so all in all, I would say yes, you would probably get better striping results with sharp blades....;)

3. precisionlawn

precisionlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the reply. Ill probaby opt for the powerrake. Thank you

4. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

OK.... if blades were that dull, was the deck clean?
    If not, you might not be getting the lift needed to realy stand up the grass before cutting it..... Is this an Advantage deck?..... from what I've seen, the older (non-Advanage) decks seem to stripe better....
    Remember that many factors together combine to lay down a really good stripe...... Deck pitch, blade sharpness, airflow, overlap, type of grass, height of cut, etc, etc......