A Customer Conundrum

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mtdman, Jan 3, 2004.

1. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I had planned on weeding out a few customers this year, due to slow pays, lack of interest in extra services, and to get rid of my few remaining every other week-ers. In general, get rid of some of my lesser accounts and hangers on to be more profitable.

Well, one of these people I had in mind sent me a Christmas tip of $25. She's never done this before. She's a slow payer usually, and I don't like to mow her yard. It's not a real nice yard, grows slowly, and she's got a gate in her back yard I have to use a 21 incher to mow (not that big). In general, she's not real profitable and I wanted to weed her out. Now she's gone and sent me a tip, one of the few I get at Christmas, and I dunno what to do. I kinda feel bad for not bringing her back in the spring.

On the other hand, that $25 doesn't really make up for her lack of profitablility.

What to do, what to do?

2. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

I would let her go. Tip or no tip. But I would type up a really nice letter thanking her for her patronage and give her a referral to another reputable lco.

3. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Try to find her a replacement before you let her go. Just tell her you are braanching out into other areas so you dont hurt her feelings.

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Business is business....let her go!!

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

just blow her off. dont send a letter or phonecall or anything. and dont return her calls. after like 2 weeks of no return calls, she should stop calling

6. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Do what mower babe said. Not what bobbygedd said.

7. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with cutters and do what mower babe said. It looks bad on you to just blow her off. Damn bobby, your shure heartless.

8. I was planning on raising the rates on one customer. I go to Subway b4 Christmas and she hands me $25. Now I don't feel like raising the price.

Also had a neighbour give me a christmas card with $10 in it. I was amazed because this lady is not exactly generous. Shes the Ms. Nosy in the neighbourhood, always spying on and gossiping about everybody.

Just when I was thinking that she had reformed, had become a nice old grandma , I remember that she owed me for cleaning up her leaves ! would have been more than $10 too! my bad for not billing her i guess.

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

you mean, my idea is not good?

10. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

You mean bobby, you mean