1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

A day in the life of a plowboy

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by jaclawn, Dec 19, 2000.

1. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

What is your typical day like?

9 out of 10 for me are as follows: Get up at 2:00 a.m. look out window. Go back to bed. Get up at 4:00 a.m. look out window. Get on with rest of non snow activities after 4:00 a.m.

1 out of 10 is like this: Get up at 2:00 a.m. look out window. See snow. Hop into clothes, start truck, head out, plow and salt till about 10:00 a.m. Come back to shop, hose off truck, re-load with salt if more snow is expected, then head home. Stay up all day. Go to bet at 10:00 p.m. Get up at 2:00 a.m. hoping for snow.

2. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

A normal day for me is...

9-10pm: Go to bed.

2am: Wake up, see snow, swear a lot.

3am: Out plowing my accounts.

4:30am: Start plowing Motorwerks, swear a lot.

4:30am-Spring: Plow Motorwerks, swear a lot.

Spring-Fall: Sleep...

3. Deere John

Deere John LawnSite Senior Member

Same here - 2 am, check.
    Three am, ask wife to check.
    four am - on the road with cereal in belly.
    eight am, breakky proper.
    9:30 complain about traffic
    11:00 complain about sore neck
    2 pm - eagerly listen to the new forecast.

Gotta love it.
  4. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

For snow, I need to be out on the road by 3 am if I expect to have my big lot done before cars start filling the parking spaces :( If its just sanding I need to be on site by 5:30am. Then I start my residentials. Today I was finished with my 3 lots and 30 residentials by 11:30am thanx to my newly hired helper (see related thread-to-be) Usually for this type storm Id be out to 3 or so (2-3 inches).

Im usually up every hour or so if I know a storm is brewing, just kinda take catnaps until its time to roll. Must be the fear of oversleeping.