1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

a day off???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Grass_Slayer, Jun 9, 2002.

1. Grass_Slayer

Grass_Slayer LawnSite Member

i just wondered if any of u guys take a day off during the week? personally i dont have enough yards to work every day of the week. i'm 18 so i do it to keep extra money in my pocket (i always look for more work though). i take sunday off every week get up later, go to church, come home lay around, but today my mom made me mow our yard!?
  2. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

Its Monday morning here and I'm taking the day off,the rain is hosing down,its mid winter, so no lawns getting cut in this town today:sleeping:
  3. lawnrangers

lawnrangers LawnSite Member

i always take sun.off.mon or tue of every week i have a cemetary,i do it on either day,depending on weather,so basically i have 2 days off,but 1 of those days i run maintence on 2 machines etc. then i have to mow my yard(about 3 acres),MOW GRANDMAS,(about 2 acres).no i guess i dont get a day off.......
  4. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

This year I have been taking a half day off on fridays... I usually have three high end accounts that I do and I am done with them by 1pm and it's back to the shop for me. I take saturday off as well to spend time with the wife, Some guys chide me for not working on such a nice day or only working on a half day friday but hey, It's my business and I make that desicion. I do work a saturday if 1) the customer is willing to pay what I am asking , and 2) if is a one time job. I do work on sundays..... I have some very good accounts that are large properties and find that sunday is the best day for them.
  5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Monday thru Friday we never take a day off unless it is pouring down rain. We have way too many accounts to take a day off.
    Saturday my husband Matt works by himself. Saturday is reserved for either make-up work caused by rain delay, or else one time jobs such as mulching, hedge work etc.
    Sunday is our day off.

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

I've taken on more accounts this season than I probably should've, so taking a day off is not an option, except maybe for a planned trip in which I have to work my butt off leading up to the trip , take 2 or 3 days off, than work my butt off when I get back in town. I'm already formulating a list in my head of which customers are getting the ax next season.

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i try to take sun and mon off, barbeque+ drink excessivly, talk trash, and relax
  8. cowman66

cowman66 Banned

ahh the joy of SUNDAY!
  9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

taking more than i want now.
    dont take long . just drive up decide whether it can stand anything but a trim. most times just a little trim job these day. gettin old too.
  10. only days off are rain days and holidays. We have tried sundays off but with as much rain we have had. Sunday has been are make up day all here