1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

A deal or not?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Currier, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

At the pipe store today a local scaper going out of business trying to sell a 24' enclosed (new condition) stocked to the gills with 20' lengths of pipe completely down one side of the trailer with bins of fittings down most of the other side. Several misc. hand tools rakes, shovels...

Son had the business and moved. Dad is selling the trailer. $8000.00 asking price. What do you think?
  2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

A trailer like that is worth around $5k by itself.

its a tough call if the pipe and fittings would add up to another $3k, would be easier if I could see them.
  3. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

I agree....a deal but not a killer deal! I think it is a classic example of if a guy had good cash reserves he could make an attractive cash offer and come away with a nice set up to be parted out and make some $$.
  4. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Figure the inventory at half of wholesale. Your not going to get very far if the inventory is just PVC. 1" class pipe is costing me around $.18/foot. I wouldn't pay more than $.12 max for someone else's inventory. Fittings, if they are 1" or smaller, might be worth $.15ea (stress the might). Figure a bin of fittings is probably 50 if they are full (a bin should hold one box) A well stocked install trailer might hold 20 boxes of fittings or 1,000 fittings total. Even for 45's that are a premium and threaded fittings, your not going to spend $.50 ea at the parts house and then your only going to buy what YOU need. Not what someone else purchased. So, finding $200 worth of fittings in that trailer might be tough, and unless there is a lot of pipe larger than 1", your not going to rack up much in that department either. 1000' of 1" class pipe would make a trailer look real full. Now if the inventory included a bunch of valves and heads..............then you might have stumbled on a good deal.
  5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Or 3" slipfixes and brass parts :)