1. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

well im finally buying the new truck and its probably going to be a gmc one ton stake truck but i want to know what would be the best engine and transmission combo and my other question is can i buy the dual wheels in the back instead of 4x4. Ive heard that people get by with these with a little weight in the back or do i just need to get a 4x4. Also what options would be recommended. Basically its my first time buying something like this and all the advice would be greatly appreciated.<p><br>I am open to comments an other makes and models .

2. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I think you are going to need 4X4, to plow snow. Only if you want to use 2wd get a heavy truck, maybe a Ford 550. If you get the 550 i would get the 7.3, with the auto trans, and the 5.13 rear end.<p>The other thing about 2wd is maybe for plowing all you need is 2wd in most spots. Only what happend when a major storm strikes and the roads have like 6 or 8 of snow on them, it happens all the time in maine. I bet if you have any hills to climb, 2wd will give you trouble fast, unless you want to plow the roads for free. <p>Also i think dual rear wheels are worse in the snow. Wider tire area, same drive train. I think i would want single rear wheels for 2wd in the snow. I could be wrong about this, so if i am someone please tell me.<p>Geoff<p>

3. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Get the 4x4 with dual wheels and the 12000 GVW option. Plow prep, limited slip differential, and the 3.73 gears if possible. The engine is up to you, I think that the 5.7 is fine for that truck, but the 6.5 diesel is an option, but that depends on your preference of diesels or not. Forget what you have heard about GM diesels they are very reliable, and the new ones will be fine. The heavy duty automatic is the best auto of the big three, and the 5 speed is good also.<br>If you are looking for a 2 wheel drive, get the HD3500. Higher gvw and solid front axel.<br>But for plowing get the 4 wheel drive option. I have it on mine and during a storm I will only use maybe 6 times, but when you need it you have it, plus the 4 low is great for tight spots. You can check out my truck at www.thehousedoktor.com follow the plowing link.Or e-mail me for more info on my truck<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

4. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Get at Ford 550 4x4. <p>I'd stay away from GM until they come out with their new model next year.

5. plowking35

from S.E. CT

This person may not have 40k+ to spend on a truck, if he prices k-3500 right, he will be out the door for about 30K and it will serve him well. A gas engine with the auto is the best gas engine tranny combo bar none. If he ops for the diesel he still has a good driveltrain. The 2000 6.5 has 215 hp and 450 ft lbs. Not the leader but competitive.I have 35k on my 98 and it is great. You get 12000 gvw, and just give a little twist to the torsion bars for the snowplow weight.<br>Right now k-3500 4x4 p/u with the gas, snow plow prep, and rear limited slip goes for 24,500. A cab chassis will run about 2k more and the body will run about 3 -4 k if you get a dump option. Keep in mind that GM usually has a commercial discount of about 1000$ that can be applied to the body or a plow. The 550,s are to expensive for my taste, andd maybe for his.<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

6. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I would not have a 2wd as my only unit. It will plow fine in 2wd if you chain it up for most conditions but its that extreme which could put you out of business if you dont have something else to fall back on.<p>Bill

7. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Plowking35<p>I was looking at Ford 550's yesterday. You'd be surprised at how competitive they are with the 1-Ton Chev for price. Ford in now offering $1,500 towards body/equipment.<p>I don't know the price on Chevy's (you obviously do) but for not much more money, you can get a lot more truck. The 550 has a 13,000 lb. rear axle!<p>I think Ford sees the writing on the wall. They make a great truck and they're trying to promote them heavily because GM is going to gulp Ford's market share when the 2001 Chev comes out.

8. lawnman

lawnman LawnSite Member

I have a 97 GMC 3500 with 4 wheel drive, 5.7 auto with a 9ft Western plow. Like everyone has mentioned, I would go with the 4 wheel drive to be safe. In April of 97 we had 30 inches of snow and I did not get stuck once with this truck and it has all the power to push the snow and pull a trailer.

9. plowking35

from S.E. CT

I agree that the 550 is one hell of a truck, and if you are going to buy an F series can chassis that is the one to get. I dont know if he needs that much truck, but if the price is close he should go for it. From what I have seen in my market is that the 650&750 are sometimes cheaper than the 550. Try Penn. for good deals, they seam to have great pricing on trucks.<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

10. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I own a 550, and its a great truck. Only i didn't buy it for is plowing ability. I bought it for it's towing ability. Its one of the few trucks that can tow a 12,000 lbs legaly. When ya got to move a compact exevator it's the right truck for the job. Now the F 650 cost less than the 550 4x4, but it is 2wd. I saw an f650 with the cat motor for 32,000 with out a body. I think an F 350 is a great truck for the price, and for years was the biggest 4x4 truck aviable. It wasn't untill late 1998 that the 450 and 550 were on the market.<p>Check out a F 350 4x4 cab and chassis 7.3 auto, with snowplow prep.<p>Geoff<br>Geoff