A dedicated sprayer for each lawn chemical?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Envy Lawn Service, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

OK, I have been what we call "sprayer poor" here in the south. "Anything + Poor" meaning too many.... a southern thing I guess.

Anyways, I've had portable tank sprayers and hose end sprayers for each class of chemicals.... RoundUp, crabgrass killer, lawn weed killer, lawn insecticides, ornamental insecticides, fungicides, and several types of feeders.

So I've been keeping these separate sprayers for everything, so this way I do not have to worry about any unwanted leftover residues from one chemical to another. But now as I have had several of them start to go south on me in sucessive order, I'm beginning to ask myself.... "is all this really that friggin necessary???"

So how many of you have separate stuff for everything and how many of you just use some sort of "flush-out" proceedures when changing chemicals?
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I did it, too... One sprayer for each chem but over time I found more chems lol and then this year I discovered the ultimate in sprayers:
    The Backpack sprayer!! WOoooooOOt! 4-gallon capacity, flow rate of 2g / 5-10 mins I mean it empties FAST. A bit tiring to pump, but it covers an acre lot in under an hour (with 1-2 refills) no joke. Now I want to find some liquid ferts hehehe but that's for later.

Now the bp sprayer is around 80 bucks, I just can't afford more than one at a time, even as b-b-b-b-bad as it is.

I've kept the roundup sprayer because it's a year-round thing, the other sprayers a few crapped out and one or two is still good so what I learned is this:
    - Most all the crap sprayers are still good for parts, don't throw away. You can also order rubber pieces for the stuff (uhm, what the word, seals and gaskets and stuff...) about a dime a dozen, you can rebuild hand pumps and they sell the nozzle crap as well, so keep them around and use parts and keep fixing the stuff. Yes, to some degree the parts interchange even between brands, so save them someplace.
    Most of the info on repairing is in the manuals that came with them (lol, I found one, that was good enough).
    - To deal with the chems, I bought some 5-gallon cans in different colors (red, blue, yellow) which are technically sold as fuel cans but if I have amounts left over, I dump that in a can for later use, and label the can (yes, dedicated cans, one can per chem). This is also handy for mixing, I can now make up to 5 gallons at a time, plus if I need a lot, take a can with me for in-the-field refills.
    The cans are stored under the house where it's cool and shady - You are responsible for checking life or half-life of chems under different conditions, some do spoil over time, faster during warm days (and much, much faster on hot days).
    - Far as what to do with the bit left in the sprayer after it's empty, I just never think those few drops make a difference when I'm busy but you do need to flush the stuff periodically, there is a procedure for it I gotta read up on it but anyway...

Some ideas...
  3. LandscapeMasterpieceGA

LandscapeMasterpieceGA LawnSite Member

I use cheap 5.97 hand held sprayers for those oddball chems and such, and I also dedicate my larger sprayers, I just hate risking unwanted residues spraying out. But for the random small applications, I dedicate a $5-$20 sprayer for each chem.
  4. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Well, you guys need to investigate and purchase the neutralizing agents availalbe in your area.
    I use Lesco's tank flush.
    The real purpose for this agent is to neutralize the chemicals left in a sprayer which are extremely harsh to the seals on the pumps.
    Additionally, read completely, the labels accompanying the chemicals, some state that the tank needs to be flushed after use.
    Also, depending upon your individual's state regulating agency, each tank has to bear some sort of ID or documentation with license number, last time calibrated, or similar information-with the regulating agency maintaining these numbers.
    Why make it more difficult on yourself, flush the tank and be done with it.
  5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 200 Gallon Roundup Tank, 20 Gallon roundup tank. 200 gallon h2o only tank and a 200 gallon Slide in sprayer for everything else. and abouta dozen backpacks....(mostly roundup) a coulple just for roses though...

The prblemis whenyou flush the tank, you haveot have someplace to spray it out. Youcan't just let it run down the drain. and its not awlays conviently to flush out my slide in tank to my roundup tank.

But when I use the slide in...I try ot mix only what I need. and then run the tank dry...